Use host’s bios and cpu?

spacebass

Feb 25, 2019
Hey folks,
While I’m working on recovering a failed node (that I broke through a rookie mistake), I’ve got another side project for fun going on.
I got Proxmox running (fairly easily, I’ll say) on an Apple Xserv 3,1 - for its age, its a beefy box with 12 cores and it seems to handle multiple VMs well.

I’d like to run a MacOS VM as well. I know there are guides, which include breaking Apple’s TOS. Since this is native hardware, is there a way to tell a VM that it is, effectively, running on the host’s hardware? There’s some stuff in the bios that MacOS looks for to know it is on Apple Hardware.

I’d like to run a MacOS VM as well. I know there are guides, which include breaking Apple’s TOS. Since this is native hardware, is there a way to tell a VM that it is, effectively, running on the host’s hardware? There’s some stuff in the bios that MacOS looks for to know it is on Apple Hardware.

You cannot pass the host bios to the vm, so this does not work. Setting the CPU to host in the VM settings is one step, the other is to pass the identifier string inside of your host SMI and add it to the guest. Apple allows running MacOS virtualised on Apple Hardware.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!