USB Wifi Passthrough for Windows 7 VM - Please Help - RESOLVED

avoleoo

Apr 27, 2019
Hello everyone, I was wondering if you can point me to the right direction. Windows VM is detecting USB wifi however is unable to install driver and is returning error. I've tried this with two different USB Wifi adapters and two versions of windows ( 7,10 ). Both usb adapters and PnP in any Windows machine not running in hypervisor. What am I missing here? ( screenshots attached ) Any driver installed returns error.

Thank you !

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yes it works in bare metal windows machine. Ive tried everything I could find online including like 5 different drivers. Remember I have two usb wifi adapters and both exhibit the same issue, so I'm thinking its on proxmox side but I have no idea what it could be and how to fix it.

Hmm, the USB device is just passed through and shouldn't even show up anymore if you do a lsusb once the VM is started.

You could try to plug it into a nother USB port, even better would a a USB port that is connected to another USB controller. lsusb -t can help you identify to which controller a device is connected.

Aaron: device is showing up in lsusb after VM is started. I have identified different usb controller and have plugged usb wifi in different port and attached it to the VM. Same results.

I'm on 5.2.1

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
I just tested the USB passthrough behaviour myself and I must correct myself.
The USB device will still show up after the VM startet.

Other than that all I can recommend is to update, if not to 6.0 at least to 5.4. If that does not help I am at a loss myself.

The problem was multiple usb devices connected to the same controller. Once I disconnected other devices, it started to work. If you get this error, make sure you have one controller per VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!