USB Redirection on Windows VM, installed on Proxmox

marivesel

Nov 30, 2021
Hello,

I am using Proxmox to virtualize a Windows 10 VM.
From another physical computer with Windows 10, I am connecting to the VM via RDP.
I have a specific USB printer (Brother label printer) connected to the physical computer.
Need to redirect it to the VM, as the software is searching for the specific device to install its driver to.

From search around, I found a way via RemoteFX USB Redirection and tried to configure it on both physical and VM Group Policy editors, but it's still not working - no "RemoteFX" pull-down menu on the RDP dialog box.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33719489/how-to-enable-usb-redirection-in-windows-10

Is it because the host is Proxmox and not Widows Server? Is there a way to configure this, or any other easy method for USB redirection of the device?

Sorry to not really answer your question but I do have a thought on this that might be helpful. Basically I am thinking can you just avoid this problem altogether by putting this printer on your network. Obviously if your printer has wifi or an ethernet port connecting it should be pretty straightforward. However, perhaps less obvious, many routers have USB ports also which you could plug the printer into in case it does not natively connect to a network.

No, this is not working, as the software for barcode generating and printing is searching the device specifically, otherwise it can't print on shared/network printer.

But I can't, the host is a server rack on a distant site.
So, there is no way for USB passthrough/redirection in this situation?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!