USB passthrough in unprivileged container

aC23

Nov 21, 2019
Is there a way to do USB passthrough to an unprivileged container? This is exactly what I am trying to do: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/lxc-usb-passthrough-zwave-stick.30058/

...and after a lot of frustration, I realized that it was because my container was unprivileged. chmod o+rw /dev/ttyACM0 did not help. I was able to follow those instructions successfully in a privileged container, though.

1. Is there a way to accomplish USB passthrough using an unprivileged container?
2. If not, is there a way for me to clone my container as privileged, or make it privileged after the fact? --EDIT: looks like a backup and restore will do the trick for this, unless there is another way?

Thank you

Last edited:
1. Is there a way to accomplish USB passthrough using an unprivileged container?

sure, you just need to make sure your mapped root uid in the unprivileged container can access the device in /dev/bus/usb/

something like: chown 100000:100000 /dev/bus/usb/003/005 should work. change bus numbers according to your setup

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!