USB passthrough from my desktop to my VM desktop?

Joseph Chrzempiec

Jun 9, 2016
Hello i was wondering if it is possible to do a USB passthough from my home desktop to my virtual desktop? I have a USB flash stick i would like to send files to without having to email it to my self and then download it to the virtual desktop.

Edit: Everything i found is most on putting usb stick on the server with the proxmox on it. Not sure what to do can someone please help me?

Joseph

You can use SPICE, which has usb redirection and should work out-of-the-box with Linux on the server and linux on the client.

or if your both (desktop and VM) run any sort of Linux distro, you can just rsync the files over the network.
Ofc, this is a fast-easy and usable solution only if this is one time job, and not something like office / school work where you have to transfer files from/to the USB all the time.

Okay here is the whole story. My brother i set him up on a windows VM. he has a raspberry pi 4 he plays on for games and some desktop stuff. but mostly games. He would like to transfer files to the windows system some pictures and other stuff. So maybe once in a while he like to transfer files. I don't know if he would like to connect the drive full time on it.

Hello i never heard of remmina before i will look into that. As far as ssh goes. Hes not a programmer. I didnset him up for rdp. So he is using remote windows standard desktop remote.

Hello aljaxus thank you. Now i have to out this video problem passthrough. I don't want to cross thread post but the video card problem is killing me.

No i didn't mange to solve my issue. I'm actually putting it on hold because i have another issue I really need to address. So i have posted in another topic.

Reactions: aljaxus

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!