USB for VM

Currently this is limited by the backend to 5.

This could be increased. Out of interest, why do you need that many USB devices?
Thanks for answer.
How?

I have VM and on it work Accounting. Everyone has their own crypto usb key for work Internet-banking and etc.

Thanks for answer.
How?

Sorry if I suggested that you could easily change it your self, it's a variable in our code, we'll just need to reconfirm that increasing it has no impact (i.e., additional XHCI usb controller required, and thus a live migration change breakage)

For documenting purpose: the variable is located in PVE/QemuServer.pm around line 800, named $MAX_USB_DEVICES, you could edit /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm and then restart pveproxy and pvedaemon, it's hacky I know, just FYI.

I have VM and on it work Accounting. Everyone has their own crypto usb key for work Internet-banking and etc.

And you use SPICE USB for that, or are they keys directly passed through to the VM? In the latter case you could pass through a whole port and plugin a USB HUB there, that could avoid this too, just as idea.

I plugin USB HUB, dont work.
Sorry if I suggested that you could easily change it your self, it's a variable in our code, we'll just need to reconfirm that increasing it has no impact (i.e., additional XHCI usb controller required, and thus a live migration change breakage)

For documenting purpose: the variable is located in PVE/QemuServer.pm around line 800, named $MAX_USB_DEVICES, you could edit /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm and then restart pveproxy and pvedaemon, it's hacky I know, just FYI.

And you use SPICE USB for that, or are they keys directly passed through to the VM? In the latter case you could pass through a whole port and plugin a USB HUB there, that could avoid this too, just as idea.
We use second variant.
I plugin USB HUB. It doesnt work.

I just tried it with 6.0, we currently have the same limitation there.
I talked with a colleague and the limit is here to be able to ensure live migration works (after unplugging again), so we may want to make this configurable (so users can choose if they need more then a few).

I just tried it with 6.0, we currently have the same limitation there.
I talked with a colleague and the limit is here to be able to ensure live migration works (after unplugging again), so we may want to make this configurable (so users can choose if they need more then a few).
As I understand it, in proxmox 6 version via USB HUB too limitation in 5 usb drive ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!