USB device randomly prevents VM from starting

Apr 26, 2020
Hi,

I have a VM with a USB card passed through to it. Attached to this is Microsoft gamepad controller (id: 045e:02fe). Weird thing is that randomly the VM will fail to start if this device is attached. Sometimes it boots and sometimes not. If it is not booting, then as soon as I unplug the device, it will carry on booting (i.e. show the Proxmox BIOS screen and carry on with start up). I would say this happens about 50% of the time. There is nothing relevant I can see in the syslog. I should also mention that I have several other devices connected to this USB card and they never interfere with the boot process only this one device.

I have tried to make sure that no driver is loaded by Proxmox by creating a udev rule:

ACTION=="add", ATTR{idVendor}=="045e", ATTR{idProduct}=="02fe", RUN="/bin/sh -c 'echo 1 >/sys/\$devpath/remove'"

but does not seem to have any effect.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Mnay Thanks,

Jonathan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!