URGENT SSH / TCP Wrappers active by default on proxmox

ejmerkel

Sep 20, 2012
Some of my nodes are under attack via ssh. I am trying to block access.

I am trying to only allow SSH to certain IP's on my proxmox nodes v3.3-1.

hosts.allow looks like where X.X.X.X is my IP and Y.Y.Y.Y is the cluster network

sshd: X.X.X.X Y.Y.Y.Y/255.255.255.0

hosts.deny

sshd: ALL

For some reason this is not working. Is TCP Wrappers turned on by default or am I missing something?

Also, if I want to change SSH ports do I just set change Port XXX in /etc/ssh/ssh_config and sshd_config?

Thanks,
Eric

if somebody has already replaced the sshd binary.. do yourself a favour and save a lot of time by just taking the server offline. You might then want to take out all the disks and either analyse them yourself or give them to a forensics company. Theres almost no chance of getting the system completely clean without starting fresh. BTW you cannot use ANY of the now compromised data, you have to start from scratch (or the latest, full, clean backup for that matter).

That's what I plan to do. It looks like the attack was automated and just replaced sshd for a future compromise but we caught it right away. Would I just do an apt-get install openssh-server to get SSH reinstalled just to keep them out as rebuild it?

Eric

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!