Uptime... who has the longest....

itNGO

Jun 12, 2020
Germany
it-ngo.com
Just to make it searchable and to have this question documented for others who might ask.

How long can Proxmox VE run nonstop compared to others like VMWa** or Hyper*

600days is nothing special for PVE. Except without Kernel-Live-Patching add on, you are sticked to an older Kernel.

1690040014708.png

Just to make it searchable and to have this question documented for others who might ask.

600days is nothing special for PVE. Except without Kernel-Live-Patching add on, you are sticked to an older Kernel.

View attachment 53340
That's without updating or upgrading?

That's without updating or upgrading?
We update regulary. Currently it is on 7.4-16. Was original installed with 7.0-4. But we do not reboot so the kernel is still the one, which came with 7.0-4 more or less. It is our Office PVE-Server where we just have Firewall, Fileserver and ERP and some other stuff. Backed by UPS and not reachable from anywhere. It is some sort of scientific test.. how long will it last.... ;-.)

View attachment 53340
You can try to update to pve8 without rebooting now xD

Tbh, i don't think anyone is patient enough of the active members in the forum, to not update his server, including Kernel.

Otherwise you need to find someone that forgot that he has an Proxmox server running somewhere, like setupped and forgot :)

Sometimes I see people here asking for support running their PVE 4.X or PVE 5.X. Wouldn't wonder if they could beat the 599 days ;)

But yes, for a security perspective, long uptimes aren't really good thing without live kernel updates.

why would anyone ask this except you maybe? -.- it will run until the lights go down, something needs replacement, patches to be applied, .. right?
Compared to other Virtualization-Products where you simply can not have this expectation.... But people ask us, how stable is it many times.... Just wanted to get some other Uptime-Results to prove or compare.... We for ourself already now... it "can" last forever if you want and have done it right.... Cause Proxmox is until now not a "Global Player" like others are or seem to be...... ;-)

Tbh, i don't think anyone is patient enough of the active members in the forum, to not update his server, including Kernel.

Otherwise you need to find someone that forgot that he has an Proxmox server running somewhere, like setupped and forgot :)
It is wisely isolated and protected. As I said, its also a scientific "Sever"...

Compared to other Virtualization-Products where you simply can not have this expectation.... But people ask us, how stable is it many times.... Just wanted to get some other Uptime-Results to prove or compare.... We for ourself already now... it "can" last forever if you want and have done it right.... Cause Proxmox is until now not a "Global Player" like others are or seem to be...... ;-)
you and the people that ask you are asking strange questions really.. I would say: it is a server virtualization system expected to be running 24/7. the more you get used to it, the more you believe in it ;)

Compared to other Virtualization-Products where you simply can not have this expectation....
We've had ESX running for years, until datacenter lost power. We also have Blockbridge storage systems in the field that look like these:

00:58:43 up 790 days, 23:35, 1 user, load average: 16.94, 16.75, 16.68

01:00:25 up 833 days, 5:17, 1 user, load average: 22.71, 22.51, 22.51

01:00:58 up 947 days, 3:45, 1 user, load average: 45.74, 45.07, 45.06

21:06:51 up 1224 days, 4:06, 1 user, load average: 7.10, 7.06, 7.07

This is just a random sample. These systems had software upgrades, but didnt need any Kernel updates, which we are very judicious about.
Any good enterprise system, Proxmox included of course, can achieve impressive uptime if it was installed properly and does its job.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Reactions: itNGO
Sometimes I see people here asking for support running their PVE 4.X or PVE 5.X. Wouldn't wonder if they could beat the 599 days ;)

Recent example:

screenshot-from-2023-07-20-12-29-39-png.53211

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/permission-denied-error-for-vzdump-command.130885/post-574612

Reactions: itNGO and Dunuin
Pretty cool to see that kind of up time but patches and security updates are more important to me than up time. Plus rebooting the servers is a good way to reset the RAM especially with ZFS.

The Lady is on 8.1.3 now and still running.... ;)
1701271705275.png

Reactions: Darkk
Nice. Can't imagine what version of the kernel still running on that node since it needs a reboot to load the new kernel.
Linux 5.13.19-1-pve (Tue, 23 Nov 2021 13:31:19 +0100)

Wow, a collection of admins who are very negligent with the security of their hypervisors. It's neither nerdy nor cool to boast about such uptimes and outdated kernels. Of course there may be exceptions, for example if you use live patching.

I'm sorry to spoil your fun, but as someone who lives information security, I absolutely couldn't resist the comment.

Wow, a collection of admins who are very negligent with the security of their hypervisors. It's neither nerdy nor cool to boast about such uptimes and outdated kernels. Of course there may be exceptions, for example if you use live patching.

I'm sorry to spoil your fun, but as someone who lives information security, I absolutely couldn't resist the comment.
As you can read in this thread.... in our case this is an isolated system....

Yes, I can read and this may apply to you. For others, the server is open like a barn door on the internet.

From an information security perspective, there is no valid reason at all why a hypervisor that can still be updated free of charge is not updated.
Even if it no longer works, the system belongs behind a firewall in your own network, so that using the systems is associated with maximum pain so that someone can take care of migrating the services. As a risk manager, you simply can't bear that anymore.

By the way, please don't feel attacked because I wasn't addressing you directly, but rather the general population of people who think updates are annoying and prefer not to do so. Basically, my answer may be a wake-up call for some people to update and reboot their system.

Everyone here can do whatever they want with their system. I have now given my 2 cents and leave your Schrödinger's servers to you (am I hacked or not - you don't know) ^^

Reactions: LnxBil and itNGO
please don't feel attacked because I wasn't addressing you directly,
But that was implied...no reasonable persons reading this thread would think "ah, this the solution I had been waiting for."

Last edited:
Reactions: itNGO

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!