Dec 3, 2020
Germany
HowTo
Shut down when electricity is down
AND
Boot up when electricity is back

I have a UPS connected to Synology NAS

1607114572215.png

What to set up in ProxMox to achieve this?

Is it enough to just enter the IP of the ProxMox to shut down also all running VMs?

Last edited:
Last edited:
THX I will have a look

But it just came in my mind what happens to the running VMs when I shut down ProxMox in console?

1607119790914.png

Last edited:
Isn't that how it should be configured?

On power down command from Synology
ProxMox should shut down all VMs
and shutdown the Server.
Would be perfect?

Is there an additional feature required to follow the command of Synology to shut down? - YES

I found this:
Your Synology can act as a UPS server and send shutdown messages to other devices. Synology's server is based on NUT. It should be as simple as enabling the Synology UPS server in the settings, then installing the NUT packages on proxmox and pointing them at the server.

Pls Help me on HowTo
1 Enter servers IP address in the Synology UPS Server - OK
2 HowTo install the NUT packages on ProxMox and pointing them at the server.

Hope for help

Last edited:
Was this succesful?

I'm trying to do the same (2 Synology NAS - works)

ProxMox with nut - I'm going crazy with it for 2 hours now.

Any help with the nut configuration connecting to my Synology DS would be great!

in my case i shut down proxmox over the ipmi Port which shutdown directly the hardware without shuting down the vms!
over ipmi with power soft command it went down and shut down the vm's too

Reactions: nes3Ah
in my case i shut down proxmox over the ipmi Port which shutdown directly the hardware without shuting down the vms!
over ipmi with power soft command it went down and shut down the vm's too
Thanks, unfortunately I don't have a IPMI port, as my Proxmox Server is just a Desktop Mini PC for hobby purposes. Tomorrow I'll try again :)

if you have a proxmox backup Server and PVE on the same hardware !
connect from the PBS to the PVE and shut down there pve will shut down the VM first

I started over after I manually deleted all nut config files and reinstalled nut.

It works now as netclient with ups@(ip) :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!