Uppercase usernames. Should I "--force-badname" or edit the NAME_REGEX?

Aug 17, 2020
I'm in the process of replicating some users and groups from my FreeNAS install, so that when I import my zpool, I won't have to mess with dataset ownership/permissions. I've run into a problem though. FreeNAS allows the creation of users and groups with uppercase letters in their names where as Proxmox doesn't.

When trying to create a user or group with an uppercase letter in their name, the command fails and I get the following output.

Code:
adduser: Please enter a username matching the regular expression configured
via the NAME_REGEX configuration variable.  Use the `--force-badname'
option to relax this check or reconfigure NAME_REGEX.

I'm not sure which approach to take or if there are any gotchas.

I've tried searching for the pros and cons of the "--force-badname" vs editing "NAME_REGEX" but I've had no luck. Any advice or further information any of you could offer would be appreciated.

Hi,

there are no usernames in filesystem permission just GUI/UID.
In other words, you can name it as you like as long the GUI and UID are the same.

Hi,

there are no usernames in filesystem permission just GUI/UID.
In other words, you can name it as you like as long the GUI and UID are the same.
Thanks for the reply, Wolfgang (and for making me realise I never posted the reply you in a previous thread!... I just hope I saved the draft somewhere).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!