Upgrading proxmox through ISO

bsinha

May 5, 2022
Can we upgrade proxmox using ISO?

Currently our proxmox 3node cluster is running Proxmox VE 6.4-13. We want to upgrade it to the latest version of proxmox, which is 7.2.

What we want to achieve is:

1) Downloading the latest version of proxmox iso in 6.x series. and upgrade it.
2) Downloading the latest version of proxmox iso in 7.x series, and upgrade it.

What is the way out using ISO?

Thanks in advanced.

I don't know how to do it via the ISO's, sorry. As far as I know, there are no latest/up-to-date ISOs for each version and only the initial major/minor releases have an ISO, which means that it requires a network connection to the up-to-date repositories. Therefore, I think that this is the only supported way to upgrade PVE 6.x to 7.2.

the packages are there on the iso, so you can use it (+ debian isos of the matching point release/..) if you understand how APT repos work. there is no built-in automated way.

edit: yeah, like @leesteken mentioned, for upgrading from 6.x to 7.x you need internet access - there is no iso for the 'latest 6.x version', just for the last point release 6.4 which is not tested for upgrading to 7.x

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!