upgrading proxmox hardware, boot hang at initial ramdisk

zenowl77

Feb 22, 2024
just got a really good deal on a new system for proxmox that is a pretty decent upgrade from my old SFF server, only one generation newer i7 so i figured it would boot but im having issues getting it to boot proxmox or linux in general for some reason, i think it might be an ACPI error that needs ACPI=off but im not sure how to do that when i cannot boot proxmox at all

hardware:
CPU: i7-7820X
mobo: Gigabyte X299 UD4
mem: 96GB DDR4
GPU-1: GTX 1060 3GB
GPU-2: Tesla P4 8GB

old hardware:
CPU: i7-6700
MOBO: generic HP Z240 SFF motherboard
RAM 64GB DDR4
GPU: Tesla P4

i just used the memory, GPU and hard drives i had bought for the old pc and put them in the new full desktop system, i figured since its only one generation newer it would boot and i would just have to change the eth interface to get back to the Webui. reconfigure pci devices maybe set HDD mount points again for externals. but it wont boot at all.
(windows will boot fine in a spare drive everything runs normally and is detected fine )

hi, what exactly is the symptom of 'not booting' ? does it show some error? a black screen? do you see the bootloader? (i.e. grub?)

Short „shot in the dark“: maybe the second nvidia card leads to problems due to driver problems. As @dcsapak said: further details would be helpful.

hi, what exactly is the symptom of 'not booting' ? does it show some error? a black screen? do you see the bootloader? (i.e. grub?)
it was freezing on the screen loading initial ramdisk and that was it, no errors no nothing just that screen stuck
Short „shot in the dark“: maybe the second nvidia card leads to problems due to driver problems. As @dcsapak said: further details would be helpful.
the Nvidia drivers seem to be alright both cards should be supported under the version i am running and seem to be running fine now
You probably need to mess with CSM/Secure Boot in the BIOS.
it would try to boot it just failed to actually boot, but ive got it working now

thank you for the replies everyone, my final solution was to place the nvme back into the original SFF pc and try to configure it for the new hardware, in the end the solution was to edit grub
Code:
nano /etc/default/grub
update-grub
changing GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on" and commenting everything else i had configured to a new line then i added back hugepagesz=1G mmitigations=off once i got it running and then cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.bk to backup interface configuration then edit it nano /etc/network/interfaces replacing eno1 with in this case enp0s31f6 (find yours with ip addr or ifconfig anyone reading this in the future trying to solve this issue) then use systemctl restart networking to reload interfaces, then for some reason i had to use ifconfig enp0s31f6 up to get it up the first time as for some reason my i219-v wasn't going up automatically and then systemctl restart networking again, then i just had to reconfigure VMs, etc and set the Nvidia tesla P4 in resource mapping again, remove my igpu etc (since the 7820x doesn't have an igpu)

so it is all solved and working now, so far so good except i have had a few random network drop outs it seems like, had to log back into webui randomly once and remote desktop randomly froze while connected to a vm and reconnects to a black screen despite the VM still running, etc, not sure what is causing that, thinking it might be the built in nic so wondeing if i should just get a PCIE 2-4 port card to replace the built in Ethernet, seeing a lot of 2.5, 4 and 10gbps cards fairly cheap and wondering if it would be worth it or not with the rest of the network being gigabit

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!