Upgrading Proxmox from 6.2 to 6.4 broke GPU Passthrough

ghamauricio

Aug 22, 2020
Hello guys.

I had a Proxmox server running fine for about a year with two VMs, one Windows and one MacOS, each with their own GPU (RTX 2080 Super and Vega 64 respectively).
For some dumb reason I decided to upgrade my server, and already in the process (after upgrading to 6.4) I started to have problems booting up the VMs.

The Windows VM (with the nVidia card) would just loop trying to start the VM, spawning a new PID every second and making it a nightmare to kill the VM.
The MacOS VM (with the AMD card) just plain threw an error in the lines "could not read tail".
Removing the VGAs from the list of passed devices made it possible to boot the VMs, but since they're my workstations, I kinda need them with the VGAs.

I tried to follow some GPU passthrough tutorials just in case the update managed to overwrite some VFIO-related stuff, but no help.

Then for some other dumb reason, I decided to pull the trigger and bought a community license and still try to upgrade to Proxmox 7.0 in the hopes it would fix itself.

Now it's even worse. Now it complains it can't start the VM with the following error:
TASK ERROR: KVM virtualisation configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration or enable in BIOS.
Even though both SMV and IOMMU are obviously enabled (I checked it). I can't even boot an Ubuntu VM with no VFIO anymore!

I'm starting to lose any kind of hope of fixing it, but decided to try to get some help here before trying the drastic solution of formattingthe server, going back to 6.2 and having to reconfigure everything.

Any help is much, much appreciated!

Last edited:
can you post the output of 'dmesg' ?

Sorry for the delay. Yes sir, here it is (Had to attach a file, forum complained post was too long).

Also if I could provide any logs, just let me know.
I'm not really a Linux guy, so I don't know which logs would be useful, neither where they are.

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    117.8 KB · Views: 2
ok the error seems to be the 'invalid parameter for nested'

kvm_amd: `Y' invalid for parameter `nested'
so it cannot load the the kvm_amd module

for amd you have to put '1' or '0' as the nested parameter (in contrast to intel, where it is 'Y' and 'N')

ok the error seems to be the 'invalid parameter for nested'

so it cannot load the the kvm_amd module

for amd you have to put '1' or '0' as the nested parameter (in contrast to intel, where it is 'Y' and 'N')
Thank you very much for the reply! This solved the part of the problem. The Ubuntu VM now boots up, as well as the Windows VM with the 2080 passed through

But the MacOS VM (with the Vega 64) doesn't show any image.
I have it with the VGA and a " VMWare compatible graphics adapter" on the hardware list (so I can more easily troubleshoot), and when I start the VM, it just stays black.

No Proxmox post screen, nothing. Here's a new dmesg after running both VMs (and sending a stop signal to the MacOS VM).

Attachments

• dmesg2.txt
    119.7 KB · Views: 1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!