Upgrading boot drives

Khoomn

Aug 9, 2024
So I'm currently rocking 2 400GB dell enterprise SSDs in raid 1 but might have the opportunity to get 3x 1.92TB intel enterprise SSDs and want to use them. I'm currently using 77% of my SSDs for VM storage and want to upgrade the SSDs. How would I go about replacing them? My proxmox is a Dell T430 with 8x hotswap bays in the front. I have 2 of the bays for the boot drives and the other 6 are for truenas so I don't have any spare spots. Should I just unplug one of the boot drives and replace it with the 1.92TB SSD, rebuild the drive from the other one, then after its done, take out the other 400GB drive and replace it with the other 1.92TB drive? If thats actually how its done, what commands do I need and how would I expand the partition from the 400GB to the full 1.92TB?

Do you use ZFS or Hardware Raid for your boot drives?

What Proxmox version to you use?

Code:
pveversion

Do you use ZFS or Hardware Raid for your boot drives?

What Proxmox version to you use?

Code:
pveversion
ZFS for Raid on the boot drives and Virtual Environment 8.1.3

pve-manager/8.1.3/b46aac3b42da5d15 (running kernel: 6.5.11-4-pve)

And your Dell Storagecontroller is in HBA mode?

---

You can replace disk for disk and then automatically expand the Zpool. First you should set "autoexpand=on" on this pool that you want to replace.

Code:
zpool set autoexpand=on <your_pool>

After you can swap your disks: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysadmin_zfs_change_failed_dev
Yes. The controller is in HBA mode so they are passed through to proxmox directly.

So with the link you provided. I should keep one of the 400GB in and the other should be replaced with the 1.92TB then I run the command you linked. once the zpool is rebuilt, i then replace the other 400GB drive with the 1.92TB and run the same command again (selecting the other drives now not the old one) and then it will expand the entire pool with the autoexpand=on correct?

Yes. The controller is in HBA mode so they are passed through to proxmox directly.
Perfect.

So with the link you provided. I should keep one of the 400GB in and the other should be replaced with the 1.92TB then I run the command you linked. once the zpool is rebuilt, i then replace the other 400GB drive with the 1.92TB and run the same command again (selecting the other drives now not the old one) and then it will expand the entire pool with the autoexpand=on correct?

So I'm currently rocking 2 400GB dell enterprise SSDs in raid 1 but might have the opportunity to get 3x 1.92TB intel enterprise SSDs and want to use them.

Basically yes. But you can only use 2 of the new SSDs for direct replacement. The raid level cannot be changed.

1. Enable autoexpand on your existing ZFS pool
  2. swap one drive
  3. Copying the partition table from the existing drive
  4. Reissuing GUID with sgdisk
  5. Replace the drive with "zpool replace"
  6. Make system bootable with "proxmox-boot-tool" if you use EFI, otherwise with "grub-install"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!