Upgraded to SSD's, now getting extremely poor performance on containers

Method

Aug 10, 2019
I was on Proxmox 5.3 before, and I had decided to try and toss in my spare SSDs, a couple of 128GB Samsung 840 Pro's, and reinstall on those with 6.0

The server itself is a Dell R710 (2x 5670's) with an H200 in IT mode. 4x 2TB drives as my main zfs pool as my NAS, and then the aforementioned 2x 128GB ssd's.

Before, I had installed proxmox on a pair of 750GB regular 7200rpm drives. I wish I had remembered how I installed it because clearly something was different. I'm not too familiar with how proxmox works but I know I had a local-lvm that I'm fairly sure the containers existed on, and now I no longer have a "local-lvm" but instead a "local-zfs".

The problem I'm running into is that the containers _seem_ to be operating just fine, just as they did when they were on the rotational drives. But various cli tasks like apt update/upgrade are _extremely_ slow, and sometimes outright hang. I was trying to install Kibana on a fresh container and it outright froze midway through installing it, forcing me to reboot the container.

I run a website on these containers, plex, a Jira instance, they all seem to actually _run_ just fine, but doing anything in cli seems to break completely.

If I try to create an LVM, the dialog window says "No disks unused". I have a suspicion that I'll need to reinstall proxmox somehow, but I'm not sure what I should do differently if that's the solution.

Last edited:
This is expected. If you had local-lvm, you were using single disk. Now you are using ZFS which is slower but has many features such as redundancy.

This is expected. If you had local-lvm, you were using single disk. Now you are using ZFS which is slower but has many features such as redundancy.

Im not sure this is accurate. I had 2 750GB rotational drives in use before, they _both_ were in use. I still have them, untouched. I could toss them back in and see exactly

Also Im not sure how its "expected" for ssd's to perform so poorly under zfs....to the point of them hanging/freezing when doing mundane tasks...

Just loaded them back up again, I guess I was mistaken. No 'local-lvm'.

I guess my next question here is, how the hell do I get my ssd's to perform better?

Those consumer grade SSDs perform poorly when you use with ZFS. If you want ZFS use Intel Datacenter SSDs.

Reactions: tom
I see many posts about people using the Pro samsung drives without these kinds of issues.

I was able to track this down further. I had a container that was misbehaving and causing a lot of i/o wait, in addition, the one thing I was able to consistently replicate was trying to install Kibana and having it fail. It would _every time_ reach 17% and stop/hang, causing additional i/o wait which made other containers slow down. With these two issues out of the picture, it does seem that my containers performance are back to normal.

Not sure I can get my question answered here, but I suppose my next step is figuring out why the hell kibana is hanging on install.

For posterity, and if anyone cares to follow along: https://discuss.elastic.co/t/install-on-lxc-hangs-at-17/194724

edit: more evidence this is a Kibana issue https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/17176

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!