Upgrade to PVE 8.0 console-set-up.service error

kwat

Apr 16, 2021
After seeing no errors from pve7to8 --full, I upgraded to 8.0. The upgrade seems to complete
successfully except keys pressed on a USB keyboard do not correspond to the characters shown on my monitor.
For example if I type "root" on the keyboard, "prry" appears on the monitor and I cannot logon.
I tried another keyboard and rebooting PVE but got the same results. Access from ssh or GUI work as expected.

This entry is in my syslog: "failed to start console-setup.service - Set console font and keymap"

Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, I did google the error before posting but the solutions you referenced did not solve my problem permanently. Specifically,
if I enter "systemctrl restart console-setup.service" keyboard access works properly until the system reboots then the problem reoccurs.

Attached is a screen capture after a reboot. It shows the status of the console-setup service before and after enabling it at CLI in hopes this might be helpful.

console.PNG

Attachments

• console.PNG
    console.PNG
    76.7 KB · Views: 4
That specific solution has as a top answer a suggestion to reconfigure keyboard-configuration and console-setup, not just service restart. It may not help but its a good starting point.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

First of all, thank you for your help.
I've run the following commands again:
1/ dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
2/ dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
3/ systemctl enable console-setup.service
4/ systemctl restart console-setup.service

After these command keyboard works until system is restarted then problem reappears as before. Configuration changes seem to be lost
on reboots.

I have the same issue here. Tried to fix by changing the order at boot for console-setup.sh in /etc/rc2.d/, /etc/rc3.d, /etc/rd4.d and /etc/rc5.d (replacing S01console-setup.sh by S02console-setup.sh) but made no difference. As a workaround I now have an entry:

Code:
@reboot /usr/bin/systemctl restart console-setup.service

in crontab. If you have a better solution, please come forward.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!