upgrade to pve 7 renamed interfaces because of /etc/systemd/network/99-defaults.link

dirks

Feb 6, 2016
On our nodes interfaces got renamed from predictable to old naming scheme, i.e. eno1 -> eth0, eno33p0 -> eth3 … But why? No /dev/null links in /etc/systemd/network. No net.ifnames=0 in /proc/cmdline. No … wait, why is there a /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link file. That is new. Contents:

Code:
#  SPDX-License-Identifier: LGPL-2.1+
#
#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.

[Link]
NamePolicy=keep kernel database onboard slot path
MACAddressPolicy=persistent

That is identical to what was in /usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link before the upgrade. It is a new systemd version so let's check what is in /usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link after the upgrade

Code:
#  SPDX-License-Identifier: LGPL-2.1-or-later
#
#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.

[Match]
OriginalName=*

[Link]
NamePolicy=keep kernel database onboard slot path
AlternativeNamesPolicy=database onboard slot path
MACAddressPolicy=persisten

Ok, Match section and the AlternativeNamesPolicy in the Link section Some iterations of modifying /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link and rebooting revealed: adding the Match section brings back the old behavior. Strange

From https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.link.html
[Match] Section Options
A link file is said to match a device if all matches specified by the [Match] section are satisfied. When a link file does not contain valid settings in [Match] section, then the file will match all devices and systemd-udevd warns about that. Hint: to avoid the warning and to make it clear that all interfaces shall be matched, add the following:

OriginalName=*
The following keys are accepted:

apt-file search /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link is empty. I wonder what creates /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link what is the reasoning here to deviate from upstream? To add to the confusion there is no /run/systemd/network path?

Have you ever found the reason behind all this? I'm experiencing the same issue.

I have 'the old naming scheme' on my Proxmox 8 installation, which is only a couple of months old. The worst part is that sometimes it's referred to as eth0 and sometimes (after reboot) as eth1, while the other NIC named eno1 always remains consistent...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!