[SOLVED] Upgrade to latest 4.x (in preparation for 4.x -> 5.x)

Bob Green

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I have a cluster of five nodes. One node is new and is running the latest 4.4 but the others are all running 4.2. I want to upgrade the whole cluster to 5.x but before I do that, I know I need to get all nodes up to the latest 4.4. Is that simply as case of running:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade (or is it just upgrade?)

reboot

Please take a look at the wiki-page with details about the upgrade:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_4.x_to_5.0

in general `apt-get update`, `apt-get dist-upgrade` is what is needed (do not run just `apt-get upgrade`)

also if you're running Ceph - read the notes about upgrading it!!

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that's great. I don't believe I am running Ceph, unless it gets auto started when ProxMox is installed. I just clicked on the Ceph tab and got a message saying it hasn't been initialised, so that also suggests that I'm not using it, doesn't it?

Thanks again.
-Bob

and got a message saying it hasn't been initialised, so that also suggests that I'm not using it, doesn't it?
that should imply you're not using ceph - you can also check whether you have the ceph-repository configured (a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d or /etc/apt/sources.list containing a mention of ceph)

and finally you can check if you have ceph-packages installed
hope this helps!

Perfect, thank you. Worked like a dream on the first attempt! Three nodes to go and I'll be ready to upgrade to 5.x

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!