Upgrade to 8 and timesync warning

ieronymous

Apr 1, 2019
Hi

During the process of upgrading to proxmox 8 and running the script pve7to8, I got the result of the test script:

INFO: Checking for supported & active NTP service..
WARN: systemd-timesyncd is not the best choice for time-keeping on servers, due to only applying updates on boot.
While not necessary for the upgrade it's recommended to use one of:
* chrony (Default in new Proxmox VE installations)
* ntpsec
* openntpd

Probably most of you will have it as well, but since here https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Time_Synchronization mentions that <<As of Proxmox VE 7, chrony is used as the default NTP daemon, while Proxmox VE 6 uses systemd-timesyncd>> I thought that chrony will be installed by default when I upgraded from 6 to 7 back then. At least I didn t have any warnings back then.

So upgrading to 8 wouldn t install and use chrony by default (New edit: did the upgrade and it didnt install chrony as a default)?

Does exact procedure includes ...
-stopping systemd-timesyncd
-disabling it (why not unistalling it better? How?)
-installing chrony (which exact command would that be?)
-enabling it
-making it autoload
???

Running again compatibility script in order to check if the issue has been resolved after upgrade and it is still there.

Bottom line is I need help to disable or uninstall (whichever is better) systemd-timesyncd and install & enable chrony

Thank you.

PS: Why wiki doesn t include this at common warnings?

Just login, do the "apt install chrony", hit the ENTER 2x, sit back and relax...
Code:
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Suggested packages:
  networkd-dispatcher
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  systemd-timesyncd
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  chrony
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 287 kB of archives.
After this operation, 432 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Just login, do the "apt install chrony", hit the ENTER 2x, sit back and relax...
Hey, thank you for your quick response. So just by installing chrony, part of it's installation process involves removing systemd-timesyncd
(The following packages will be REMOVED: systemd-timesyncd) ?

Hey, thank you for your quick response. So just by installing chrony, part of it's installation process involves removing systemd-timesyncd
(The following packages will be REMOVED: systemd-timesyncd) ?
Yes, that way you always have only one package installed that synchronizes the clock.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!