upgrade proxmox 7.3 to 7.4 without subscription

n0bie

Dec 28, 2021
helo
in the beginning we install proxmox 7.3 and i know there is latest proxmox 7.4 for sure.
but i am not really sure that upgrade to 7.4 with repository (no-subscription)

it said:
This is the recommended repository for testing and non-production use. Its packages are not as heavily tested and validated as the production ready enterprise repository. You don't need a subscription key to access this repository.

so, it is safe if we do upgrade become 7.4? they said not recommended for production use.. that is i am not sure..
meanwhile we can download proxmox 7.4 from ISO https://www.proxmox.com/en/downloads/category/iso-images-pve

so is there any different if we use that ISO (new install) or upgrade to 7.4 with repo no-subscription.. ? both are same right?

Hi,

there is latest proxmox 7.4 for sure.
Actually, Proxmox VE 8.0 is the latest version, released a few weeks ago.

so, it is safe if we do upgrade become 7.4? they said not recommended for production use.. that is i am not sure..
The key sentence here is:
Its packages are not as heavily tested and validated as the production ready enterprise repository.
Thus, running pve-no-subscription in production can be generally safe, but at your own risk. If you need/want access to the enterprise(/production-ready) repositories and support, there are several subscription options available.
You can also find some more information about the repositories here.

And w.r.t. upgrading to Proxmox VE 8.0: We have a Wiki page explaining the process in detail.
It is noted there as well, but you have to upgrade to 7.4 beforehand anyway. Going from 7.3 to 7.4 should be painless, this can be done either through the web UI or on the commandline via apt update and apt full-upgrade.

so is there any different if we use that ISO (new install) or upgrade to 7.4 with repo no-subscription.. ? both are same right?
Yes, these contain the exact same packages. But beware that if you choose to install Proxmox VE completely from scratch, you also have to set up everything from scratch again. Thus, an in-place upgrade is normally the easier path to choose.

how abut upgrade from 7.2 to 7.4? also painless?
Yes, should be. Of course I can't give you any guarantees (there is always some risk), but minor version upgrades result in much smaller overall system changes. It is (as with all upgrades) strongly recommended to keep up-to-date backups ready for everything, just in case something goes wrong.

In the best case, you have an identical machine you can test-upgrade and see if everything is fine, before you do the same in production.

if we use 7.4.. how about the ceph version..which one is stable between 16 and 17?

we are running proxmox 7.2 and ceph Pacific
i can see that proxmox 7.4 alo support ceph Pacific..

can we update all node to 7.4 first.. all still using ceph Pacific..
once finish,, we will plan upgrade to quincy..
what do u think?

can we update all node to 7.4 first.. all still using ceph Pacific..
once finish,, we will plan upgrade to quincy..
what do u think?
Yes, that's the correct way.

If you then plan to further upgrade to 8.0, then you should upgrade your Ceph cluster to Quincy first, only after that upgrade to Proxmox VE 8.0.
Again, the In-place upgrade provides detailed instructions and should guide you through the process the whole way, including upgrading your Ceph cluster.

Yes, that's the correct way.

If you then plan to further upgrade to 8.0, then you should upgrade your Ceph cluster to Quincy first, only after that upgrade to Proxmox VE 8.0.
Again, the In-place upgrade provides detailed instructions and should guide you through the process the whole way, including upgrading your Ceph cluster.
do u think stay in latest Passific under PVE 7.4 is okay? stable?

do u think stay in latest Passific under PVE 7.4 is okay? stable?
Well, it is officially end-of-life since 01-06-2023. So although it is of course safe to stay on this version, it still advised to fully upgrade in the near future, to continuously receive security- and bugfixes.

Hello!

I need to upgrade 7.3 to 7.4 before upgrading to 8 but seems I did not included the no subscription repository after the first install. Please advice me which no subscription repository should I add for 7.3-3?

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!