Upgrade HDDs: Cheap consumer SSDs?

oguruma

Mar 26, 2020
I currently have my Proxmox VE installed on 2x SAS 3.5" HDDs (using ZFS mirror). I have another array of 2x of the same HDDs that I use to store the VM themselves.

Those HDDs are a couple years old now, and I am looking to upgrade.

Is using something like cheap "consumer-grade SSDs" (I will still probably use ZFS mirror) a bad idea? I know that these drives don't necessarily hold up to frequent writes very well.

But, with as cheap as these drives have gotten on a cost per/gb, it seems attractive to use these in lieu of SAS drives.

It all depends. If you want to produce electronic garbage that is probably a fairly good way to do so ;)
I have had old SSDs lying around. MLC ones from the early days, where all vendors placed a lot of apare capacity in them
I thought would be fine but hack, they wear out quick...
I wouldn't purchase new ones... Try getting a decent datacenter ssd from eBay. There is plenty of stuff out there

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!