Upgrade from 7 to 8 kernel issue

Feb 21, 2022
Hi to all, i've update one servere from 7 to 8 with same errors but it work at least
But, on another one server i've this error:

Code:
apt update

apt dist-upgrade
Hit:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security InRelease
Hit:2 http://download.proxmox.com/debian/ceph-quincy bookworm InRelease
Hit:3 http://ftp.debian.org/debian bookworm InRelease
Hit:4 http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bookworm InRelease
Hit:5 http://ftp.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates InRelease
Get:6 http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bookworm/pvetest amd64 Packages [73.5 kB]
Fetched 73.5 kB in 0s (149 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
48 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libboost-context1.74.0 libboost-filesystem1.74.0 libboost-iostreams1.74.0 libboost-program-options1.74.0 libboost-thread1.74.0 liburing1
  python3-distutils python3-lib2to3
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  pve-kernel-5.4.106-1-pve
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libdouble-conversion3 liblttng-ust-common1 liblttng-ust-ctl5 liblttng-ust1 libpcre2-16-0 libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5network5
  librdkafka1 librgw2 libthrift-0.17.0 liburing2 python3-rgw qttranslations5-l10n shared-mime-info
The following packages will be upgraded:
  ceph-common ceph-fuse corosync libcephfs2 libcfg7 libcmap4 libcorosync-common4 libcpg4 libjs-extjs libknet1 libnozzle1 libnvpair3linux
  libproxmox-backup-qemu0 libpve-apiclient-perl libquorum5 librados2 libradosstriper1 librbd1 libuutil3linux libvotequorum8 libzfs4linux
  libzpool5linux lxcfs novnc-pve proxmox-archive-keyring proxmox-backup-client proxmox-backup-file-restore proxmox-backup-restore-image
  proxmox-mini-journalreader proxmox-widget-toolkit pve-docs pve-edk2-firmware pve-firmware pve-i18n pve-lxc-syscalld pve-qemu-kvm
  pve-xtermjs python3-ceph-argparse python3-ceph-common python3-cephfs python3-rados python3-rbd smartmontools spiceterm spl vncterm
  zfs-zed zfsutils-linux
48 upgraded, 15 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/204 MB of archives.
After this operation, 220 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Reading changelogs... Done
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'pve-kernel-5.15.104-1-pve' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'pve-kernel-5.15.107-2-pve' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
(Reading database ... 45962 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing pve-kernel-5.4.106-1-pve (5.4.106-1) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 5.4.106-1-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.106-1-pve
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-5.4.106-1-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/proxmox-auto-removal 5.4.106-1-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.106-1-pve
/etc/kernel/postrm.d/proxmox-auto-removal: 4: .: cannot open /usr/share/proxmox-kernel-helper/scripts/functions: No such file
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/proxmox-auto-removal exited with return code 2
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/pve-kernel-5.4.106-1-pve.postrm line 14.
dpkg: error processing package pve-kernel-5.4.106-1-pve (--remove):
 installed pve-kernel-5.4.106-1-pve package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: too many errors, stopping
Errors were encountered while processing:
 pve-kernel-5.4.106-1-pve
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Tried:

apt-get upgrade
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get update
apt-get autoremove
apt-get clean
apt-get install --fix-broken
apt-get install -f
apt-get auto-remove && apt-get clean && apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Before i've the same error witk kernel 5.15.x and moved to /tmp folder.
Now with 5.4 error still persist.
Any help?

Thanks

I'm having the same issue. I believe it to be a result of removing proxmox-ve before the upgrade, but I haven't figured out a solution yet. It won't let me reinstall proxmox-ve as it needs packages that are installed by proxmox-ve.

I'm having the same issue. I believe it to be a result of removing proxmox-ve before the upgrade, but I haven't figured out a solution yet. It won't let me reinstall proxmox-ve as it needs packages that are installed by proxmox-ve.
The server below is a disaster, need to be reinstalled Proxmox again like the first time.
I will not update the other servers before upgrade will be safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: ControlsEE
Installed back Proxmox 7 from iso (8's iso crash), updated to 8, restored QMs from remote snapshot, now it work. :(

kernel 5.4 ? This is the kernel of pve6 ...(pve7 was minimum kernel 5.11 -> 5.15).

are you sure that your node was not a pve6 ????
All kernel reported an error like this.

I've also tried to install latest with: apt install pve-kernel-6.1.

All kernel reported an error like this.

I've also tried to install latest with: apt install pve-kernel-6.1.
they are no latest 6.1 . The current first kernel for pve 8.0 is 6.2.

as I said, if you was previously on pve7, it's not possible to have 5.4 kernel installed. (the minimum kernel for pve7 was 5.11)

they are no latest 6.1 . The current first kernel for pve 8.0 is 6.2.

as I said, if you was previously on pve7, it's not possible to have 5.4 kernel installed. (the minimum kernel for pve7 was 5.11)
As wrote on my first post:

"Before i've the same error witk kernel 5.15.x and moved to /tmp folder.
Now with 5.4 error still persist."

Also tried with 6.1.
The issue could not be fixed.

you can try "touch /usr/share/proxmox-kernel-helper/scripts/functions"

to create an empty missing file

(not sure I'll work)

but something is wrong here, as you are missing proxmox-kernel-helper scripts

(you can try to reinstall proxmox-kernel-helper package when the upgrade is done, apt reinstall proxmox-kernel-helper)

(BTW, you shouldn't use pvetest repo, the final release of pve8 has been you, you can use the no-subscription repo)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!