Upgrade from 6.4 to 7 is hosting pfSense

Hi,

you have two options, probably more but those are the more sensible ones IMO:
  1. prepare the upgrade by preloading all packages for the new release, for that you can use the --download-only flag for apt, i.e., apt full-upgrade --download-only
  2. Do not shutdown the VM. For a single node it does not matters that much, you cannot live-migrate the VM to other hosts anyway, and it's in general more a recommendation. There's nothing that will actively break or stop the VM during the upgrade.
Personally I'd go for 2. because if PVE 7.0 makes some trouble in your specific setup it'd do so either way, so going for the simpler method where you should still have full internet access during and after the upgrade seems more convenient.

I just used option 2 to upgrade from 7 to 8 and it worked without issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!