Upgrade from 5.x to 6.x LXC containers will not start

interesting, i did all that and I see the 105 container is mounted, however I get a new error about detecting OS distribution.

Code:
lxc-start 105 20190924192126.899 DEBUG    conf - conf.c:run_buffer:326 - Script exec /usr/share/lxc/hooks/lxc-pve-prestart-hook 105 lxc pre-start with output: unable to detect OS distribution

Also the other containers are not mounted still.

Which ones are not mounted - and i assume you check via `zfs get all <dataset>| grep -i mount`

I get a new error about detecting OS distribution.
what kind of container is it - and does it have the relevant distribution file (e.g. for debian and ubuntu it would be '/etc/debian_version' inside the container, for redhat/centos /etc/redhat-release or /etc/centos-release respectively)

As said (in https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/u...c-containers-will-not-start.56102/post-268741) - it might be worth to set the cachefile on both your pools, update the initramfs and reboot - this fixed similar problems of other users

Could you try that?

I have the same issue. I always get stuck "dev" folders in container directorys after a reboot. I think this dev folders comes from tun device passtrough not getting cleaned up after restarting Proxmox host. I give your solution i try.

They are all debian containers. it started up that one time when i manually mounted it, so I would assume the file is there?

I would have no reason to think my files/containers are suddenly dead and lost their data just from a proxmox upgrade.
Sounds like there is still some rather major bug halting this from working.

These are all the mounts

Code:
root@prox2:~# zfs get all | grep -i mount
rootpool                                                     mounted                yes                            -
rootpool                                                     mountpoint             /rootpool                      default
rootpool                                                     canmount               on                             default
rootpool/ROOT                                                mounted                yes                            -
rootpool/ROOT                                                mountpoint             /rootpool/ROOT                 default
rootpool/ROOT                                                canmount               on                             default
rootpool/ROOT/pve-1                                          mounted                yes                            -
rootpool/ROOT/pve-1                                          mountpoint             /                              local
rootpool/ROOT/pve-1                                          canmount               on                             default
rootpool/data                                                mounted                yes                            -
rootpool/data                                                mountpoint             /rootpool/data                 default
rootpool/data                                                canmount               on                             default
rpool                                                        mounted                no                             -
rpool                                                        mountpoint             /rpool                         default
rpool                                                        canmount               on                             default
rpool/data                                                   mounted                no                             -
rpool/data                                                   mountpoint             /rpool/data                    default
rpool/data                                                   canmount               on                             default
rpool/data/subvol-102-disk-1                                 mounted                no                             -
rpool/data/subvol-102-disk-1                                 mountpoint             /rpool/data/subvol-102-disk-1  default
rpool/data/subvol-102-disk-1                                 canmount               on                             default
rpool/data/subvol-104-disk-1                                 mounted                no                             -
rpool/data/subvol-104-disk-1                                 mountpoint             /rpool/data/subvol-104-disk-1  default
rpool/data/subvol-104-disk-1                                 canmount               on                             default
rpool/data/subvol-105-disk-1                                 mounted                no                             -
rpool/data/subvol-105-disk-1                                 mountpoint             /rpool/data/subvol-105-disk-1  default
rpool/data/subvol-105-disk-1                                 canmount               on                             default
rpool/data/subvol-107-disk-1                                 mounted                yes                            -
rpool/data/subvol-107-disk-1                                 mountpoint             /rpool/data/subvol-107-disk-1  default
rpool/data/subvol-107-disk-1                                 canmount               on                             default
rpool/data/subvol-108-disk-1                                 mounted                yes                            -
rpool/data/subvol-108-disk-1                                 mountpoint             /rpool/data/subvol-108-disk-1  default
rpool/data/subvol-108-disk-1                                 canmount               on                             default
rpool/data/subvol-109-disk-1                                 mounted                yes                            -
rpool/data/subvol-109-disk-1                                 mountpoint             /rpool/data/subvol-109-disk-1  default
rpool/data/subvol-109-disk-1                                 canmount               on                             default
rpool/data/subvol-110-disk-1                                 mounted                yes                            -
rpool/data/subvol-110-disk-1                                 mountpoint             /rpool/data/subvol-110-disk-1  default
rpool/data/subvol-110-disk-1                                 canmount               on                             default
rpool/data/subvol-112-disk-0                                 mounted                yes                            -
rpool/data/subvol-112-disk-0                                 mountpoint             /rpool/data/subvol-112-disk-0  default
rpool/data/subvol-112-disk-0                                 canmount               on                             default
rpool/data/subvol-112-disk-2                                 mounted                yes                            -
rpool/data/subvol-112-disk-2                                 mountpoint             /rpool/data/subvol-112-disk-2  default
rpool/data/subvol-112-disk-2                                 canmount               on                             default

rpool/data/subvol-105-disk-1 mounted no -
this explains the 'unable to detect OS distribution'

I guess there are some files/directories on /rpool, which were created while the pool was not mounted:
rpool mounted no -

I'd try to export the pool (you need to stop all containers on that pool) - and then do a `find /rpool` - that should give a hint where the problems with automatically mounting are.

Just to be sure - you ran `update-initramfs -k all -u` after setting the cachefile property on both pools?

Yes i did run update initramfs, basically copy pasted your 3 lines, and verified they had no errors on execution

Finally got back to this, this is all thats showing for container.

root@prox2:~# find /rpool/
/rpool/
/rpool/data
/rpool/data/subvol-105-disk-1
/rpool/data/subvol-105-disk-1/dev
/rpool/ROOT

Code:
/rpool/data/subvol-105-disk-1/dev

you need to remove that directory - then and reboot - that should get the container started

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!