[SOLVED] Upgrade from 5.x to 6.x -> harddrives dont sleep no more

juppzupp

May 8, 2020
Hi,

upgraded from 5.0-23 (yes old) to 6.1-11.
Have an entire harddisk assigned to a vm :
Code:
root@pve:~# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/106.conf
virtio2: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST4000LM016-1N2170_W800GKPN,backup=0,cache=unsafe,size=3907018584K

With 5.x, I was using hdparm -S60 /dev/sdc to have that spin down after 5 Minutes idle. Was working without problems.

Now since I've upgraded it seems to fail.

Code:
root@pve:~# hdparm -S60 /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
setting standby to 60 (5 minutes)
root@pve:~# sleep 300
root@pve:~# hdparm -C /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
drive state is:  active/idle
root@pve:~# qm status 106
root@pve:~#

I did even power down the vm to ensure it's not accessing the drive.

Any hints ?

Thanks

Last edited:
PVE isn't really designed for spinning down disks, but it certainly should be possible. Try using 'iotop -o' to see which processes are doing disk IO, install and use the 'blktrace' package from APT, or take a look at this SO thread for more inspiration.

Did you configure anything besides the 'hdparm' command? A good idea for example might be to blacklist your drive from LVM scanning in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf (e.g. add "r|/dev/sdc|" to the end of the 'global_filter' array, reboot afterwards to make sure it's applied).

Reactions: juppzupp
Awesome !
iotop didnt show anything, but I expected that since the entire drive was mapped to the vm.
what did the trick was blktrace -d /dev/sdc -o - | blkparse -i - which showed immediately that lvs and vgs where responsible.
by your advice I excluded the drive in lvm.conf, and it is working now.

Code:
root@pve:~# sleep 300 && hdparm -C /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
 drive state is:  standby

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!