Upgrade from 1.5 Cluster to v2.x

johnh

Sep 24, 2012
London, UK
www.icon-is.co.uk
I have a client running a Proxmox 1.5 cluster of four servers (about 50 containers). Any advice on the best way to upgrade to the latest version? The wiki refers only to upgrading from 1.9. I was hoping to be able to do the following - the details need working out (especially re Cluster config) but is the basic idea OK? Or must I somehow upgrade to 1.9 before going to 2.x?

Upgrade 1.5 - 2.x

- Install a new server host with v2.x
- For each 1.5 cluster member:
- backup each container (all Linux), copy to new server and restart
- shutdown and rebuild as v2.x

Any tips or experiences of this type of upgrade would be welcome.

Hello John,

When I upgrade from a 1.x to a 2.x, I always move all VM to empty each physical server and I install a new Proxmox physical server from scratch. Maybe I check the the HDs and replace them if necessary.

I use a temporary server to do that.

Hope that help.

Hello John,

When I upgrade from a 1.x to a 2.x, I always move all VM to empty each physical server and I install a new Proxmox physical server from scratch. Maybe I check the the HDs and replace them if necessary.

I use a temporary server to do that.

Hope that help.

Thanks. That's what I expected. Just checking - do all VMs created in 1.x work in 2.x. Are there any hidden gotchas?

Also there are startup scripts for mounting NFS volumes into the containers - should these all work in 2.x as well?

It's recommended to do a clean install when going from 1.x to 2.x.
Here are the steps that I take:
- stop the virtual machines
- run a full backup
- move the backup files to an external hard drive or another server
- Do a clean install of the latest proxmox
- Move the backup files back to the local server
- Update proxmox (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade)
- Restore the backup files
- Start the virtual machines

That should be it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!