Upgrade data disk

warner_k

Jul 9, 2022
Netherlands
I have a small proxmox server with an 64GB SSD and a 500GB HD of which 359GB is used. On the SSD is ProxMox, on the HD is the rest, VM's a.s.o. .
Now I want to move from 500GB to a 1TB drive. The thing is the motherboard has only 2 SATA connections. It does have USB3.
What is the best way to accomplish this? Offline with f.i. clonezilla or similar?

Running guests of a HDD usually results in terrible performance. You should look at your "IO delay" in the nodes summary. If it gets high your HDD would be bottlenecking and you really might consider getting a (enterprise/datacenter grade) SSD instead of a bigger HDD.

How I change disks used as VM/LXC storge is:
1.) stop all guests
2.) Backup all guests to NAS, USB Disk using Vzdump or send it to a PBS
3.) remove the Storage at "Datacenter -> Storage"
4.) shutdown server and replace disk
5.) wipe new disk (can be done using webUI since PVE 7.X, otherwise do it manually using CLI) at "YourNode -> Disks -> select new disk -> wipe"
6.) use the webUI to create a new VM/LXC storage (LVM-Thin, ZFS or whatever you like) at "YourNode -> Disks -> LVM-Thin/ZFS -> Create: Thinpool/ZFSpool"
7.) restore backups o new VM/LXC storage

If you also got other data on that disk you sould tar.gz that and copy it to the NAS/PBS/USB disk too.

Last edited:
Reactions: rpontual
I'll try your proposal. The 1T disk is already in my posession, so it is tempting to use it.
I made a screenshot of my io-delay:
CPU_IOdelay.jpg
I think nothing to worry about, although I see sometimes a figure of 4.4% but also 0.58%

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!