Upgrade 7.4 to 8, not reacheable after reboot

Hello everybody! I have the same problem. But I have KVM Session on my OVH Server. I open SSH via Firewall and now I have console. The Problem is /etc/pve is empty

I have checked the syslog logs and found this:

Code:
/etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key: failed to load local private key (key_file or key) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APIServer/AnyEvent.pm line 2009.

Any ideas? :-( Hole Proxmox is offline !

Hello everybody! I have the same problem. But I have KVM Session on my OVH Server. I open SSH via Firewall and now I have console. The Problem is /etc/pve is empty

I have checked the syslog logs and found this:

Code:
/etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key: failed to load local private key (key_file or key) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APIServer/AnyEvent.pm line 2009.

Any ideas? :-( Hole Proxmox is offline !
Ok i confirm that i have the same problem, pve is empty :/

Last edited:
This is because pve-cluster service is not starting.
Seem that ovh use cloudnit for provisiong, and it's adding "127.0.1.1 <hostname" in /etc/hosts , at each boot.

and pve-cluster need to resolve the real ip.

can you check your /etc/hosts ?

similar reported bug:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/strange-proxmox-errors.129419/#post-568304
Yes, I checked yesterday and the file is the same as version 7.4 of another server I have.

So I can't find the changed file. I also added touch /etc/cloud/cloud-init.disabled to be safe

finally, before restarting post upgrade to version 8, I saved the pve folder and replaced it in rescue mode.

the only thing i see via kvm is

Booting 'Proxmox Ve GNU/Linux'

Load Linux 6.2.16-3-pve...

Loading initial ramdisk...

and nothing else..

finally, before restarting post upgrade to version 8, I saved the pve folder and replaced it in rescue mode.
you have replaced it ??? /etc/pve is not a real directory, it's mounted with pve-cluster service. (the real datas in /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db , and pve-cluster expose it like a directory in /etc/pve).

also, pve-cluster will not start, if a real /etc/pve/ with files exist. (so double check that you don't have restore content in the real filesytem, /etc/pve should be empty until pve-cluster is started.)

Finally, check pve-cluster service status.

# systemctl status pve-cluster
# journalctl -u pve-cluster -f

I don't known about your kvm hanging, it's another bug, not related to pve-cluster.

you have replaced it ??? /etc/pve is not a real directory, it's mounted with pve-cluster service. (the real datas in /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db , and pve-cluster expose it like a directory in /etc/pve).

also, pve-cluster will not start, if a real /etc/pve/ with files exist. (so double check that you don't have restore content in the real filesytem, /etc/pve should be empty until pve-cluster is started.)

Finally, check pve-cluster service status.

# systemctl status pve-cluster
# journalctl -u pve-cluster -f

I don't known about your kvm hanging, it's another bug, not related to pve-cluster.

ok, it's not a problem i redo the upgrade from 7.4 to 8 and then i try to understand this thing through my kvm, thanks.

ok, it's not a problem i redo the upgrade from 7.4 to 8 and then i try to understand this thing through my kvm, thanks.
Since you tried man things already. Please check if ovh installs NTP/ntpsec and replace those by chrony. There is a very annoying bug with ntpsec when network bridges are involved. I am still puzzled that this bug made it into the super stable Debian. :-/

Since you tried man things already. Please check if ovh installs NTP/ntpsec and replace those by chrony. There is a very annoying bug with ntpsec when network bridges are involved. I am still puzzled that this bug made it into the super stable Debian. :-/

Bingo! thanks the problem was ntp! :)

My mistake I installed in previous tests ntp and ntpdate.

This time I didn't install ntp and the server restarted perfectly.

At this point I wonder if I have to repeat the same upgrade on a production machine do I remove ntp first?

Thank you

Bingo! thanks the problem was ntp! :)

My mistake I installed in previous tests ntp and ntpdate.

This time I didn't install ntp and the server restarted perfectly.

At this point I wonder if I have to repeat the same upgrade on a production machine do I remove ntp first?

Thank you
Yes, purge ntp and ntpsec as well as systemd-timesyncd from all systems and deploy e.g. chrony.
After that you can proceed with the upgrade.

I was debugging this issue for about 6h. But it's also mentioned in the upgrade notes since I reported it.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_7_to_8#Network_Fails_on_Boot_Due_to_NTPsec_Hook

Reactions: milk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!