Upgrade 1.9 to 2.x with minimal down time?

tin

Renowned Member
Aug 14, 2010
Northwest NSW, Australia
I have a standalone box that needs to be upgraded from 1.9 to 2.x. I kind of want some advice to reduce the chances of long down times... One VM in particular can't be down for long because it runs the phones.
But some others are huge (one in particular has around 400GB) and will take hours just to create a backup.
I have access to a spare PC capable of running Proxmox VE. It's far lower spec (dual core vs the 8 cores my real server has, 1/4 of the RAM, far smaller HDD) but it should run the 3 or so critical VMs.

My plan goes something like this:
  • Make cluster with original server as master and spare one as a node.
  • Migrate important VMs over to the spare box one at a time, checking it can cope with the load
  • Shut down least critical VMs and create backups using vzdump onto spare HDD
  • Repeat above until all VMs are dealt with.
  • Remove backup HDD (is that necessary? will the installer hose it if it's not /dev/sda?)
  • Format and install on original drives in main server
  • Take down the critical VMs, back them up and restore on main server.
  • Restore less critical VMs from backup drive

Does that sound like a suitable plan? Is there a better method of dealing with the time taken for the big VMs to back up?
Will the cluster node freak out when the master goes missing? Clusters are a new thing for me ;)

OK, I'm most of the way there... But I've got a dumb question...

How do I restore the backups from 1.9 on 2.1? The new PVE has a restore function in the GUI, right? Am I able to use that? If so, where do I go to make it happen?

Told you it was a dumb question :p

Edit: I have restored VMs in 1.9 before, so I know how to use the command line tools. I just want to know what the "right" way to do it is.

you can restore via CLI, same as on 1.9 (qmrestore and vzrestore).

via GUI:
- create a backup store via GUI
- copy the backup files via scp to this storage, in the ../dump/ directory
- now you can navigate to the storage on the gui and you will see the files, ready to restore

Thanks Tom.
I'm doing one via command line now... I think I'll try the GUI method for the rest though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!