Updating network settings in GUI deletes bond second IP

proxale

May 24, 2020
I have a bond interface configured with two network adapters. This is on all my nodes.
The bond interface carries two networks 10.1.1.x/24 and 10.1.2.x/24

Bash:
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
        address 10.1.1.2/24
        bond-slaves enp1s0f0np0 enp1s0f1np1
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode 802.3ad

iface bond0 inet static
        address 10.1.2.2/24

10.1.1.x is meant for Ceph to Ceph communication, i.e. ceph cluster_network is 10.1.1.x/24
While non-Ceph traffic, i.e. VM node to node migration goes on 10.1.2.x, i.e. Proxmox cluster is 10.1.2.x/24

this is done because I currently don't have the budget for the additional 25G/40G switches/NIC to create separate physical networks.

However, ProxMox GUI only see one IP for the bond and if any changes are done to the network configuration, I lose the 10.1.1.x configuration.
This then breaks connectivity for the node from the cluster.

Is there anyway to prevent ProxMox from removing the additional bond configuration or am I doing this incorrectly and there is a better/official way to do this?

Maybe with this?:
Code:
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
        address 10.1.1.2/24
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode 802.3ad

iface bond0:1 inet static
        address 10.1.2.2/24

Reactions: proxale
Maybe with this?:
Code:
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
        address 10.1.1.2/24
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode 802.3ad

iface bond0:1 inet static
        address 10.1.2.2/24
Thanks, that worked and the interface shows up in ProxMox. Can't remember why I didn't use this form when I first set it up.

While it is not recognized and uneditable in the GUI, at least ProxMox does not remove it when updating network configuration.

While it is not recognized and uneditable in the GUI, at least ProxMox does not remove it when updating network configuration.
That was the idea. When PVE won't support it, it won't overwrite it. Good to hear that this workaround works for you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!