Updating kernel 5.19 when using the pve.kernel-5.19 package

greavette

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2012
Hello Forum,

I'm testing the upgrade of my PVE test node to use kernel 5.19 to fix an issue I've been having with my PBS backups. So far my backup problems are resolved now that I've upgraded this host to kernel 5.19. But I've noticed that if I use the standard apt dist-upgrade command this will only upgrade the kernel 5.15. I guess until Proxmox officially releases 5.19 as the standard kernel Proxmox will only send upgrades of 5.15.

My question then is...if I do use apt install pve-kernel-5.19, how do I keep this kernel version upgraded for future upgrades of the 5.19 kernel? Do I need to issue now apt update pve.kernel-5.19?

Thank you.

Kernel version 5.19 won't be updated (and no security fixes) so you'll need to replace it with the new optional kernel 6.2.
Hello and thanks very much for this reply! So will I just need to keep upgrading the kernel to the latest available to keep my kernel patched? Is there any risks to using these newer kernel versions? Is there any place on the forums or from proxmox where I can keep up to date on which version is available from Proxmox?

thank you.

Hello and thanks very much for this reply! So will I just need to keep upgrading the kernel to the latest available to keep my kernel patched? Is there any risks to using these newer kernel versions? Is there any place on the forums or from proxmox where I can keep up to date on which version is available from Proxmox?
Watch the thread I mentioned before https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/opt-in-linux-6-2-kernel-for-proxmox-ve-7-x-available.124189/ to get notifications.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!