Updating from 6 to 7 possible issue

brucexx

Renowned Member
Mar 19, 2015
I was testing on my test server the update with no-subscription license, fully updated in the 6.x revision and I got this:

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.11.22-3-pve
Running hook script 'zz-proxmox-boot'..
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
No /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync.
Can't locate AptPkg/Config.pm in @INC (you may need to install the AptPkg::Config module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.28.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.28 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28 /usr/share/perl/5.28 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.28/AptPkg/hash.pm line 20, <DATA> line 755.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted, <DATA> line 755.

The output on the screen pretty much stopped there. I gave it about 15 min but it was not moving. I went to the GUI and everything looked good but I was still on the version 6. I rebooted from the GUI and the server booted up with no issues showing version 7.

I am just curious if somebody experience this , it was a clean install with no VMs and fully updated.

Thank you

I was testing on my test server the update with no-subscription license, fully updated in the 6.x revision and I got this:

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.11.22-3-pve
Running hook script 'zz-proxmox-boot'..
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
No /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync.
Can't locate AptPkg/Config.pm in @INC (you may need to install the AptPkg::Config module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.28.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.28 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28 /usr/share/perl/5.28 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.28/AptPkg/hash.pm line 20, <DATA> line 755.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted, <DATA> line 755.

The output on the screen pretty much stopped there. I gave it about 15 min but it was not moving. I went to the GUI and everything looked good but I was still on the version 6. I rebooted from the GUI and the server booted up with no issues showing version 7.

I am just curious if somebody experience this , it was a clean install with no VMs and fully updated.

Thank you
Yes, currently updating 3 nodes, I faced exactly the same szenario once - but as you said - this did not seem to cause any issues.

Hi,
what command are you using to upgrade the nodes?

EDIT: There seems to be an issue with pveupgrade, failing to load required Perl modules. Most likely because there is a new Perl version installed after the upgrade, but the script still runs the old Perl version. Please use apt dist-upgrade as the upgrade guide suggests, and please correct me if you didn't use pveupgrade.

Last edited:
Hi,
what command are you using to upgrade the nodes?

EDIT: There seems to be an issue with pveupgrade, failing to load required Perl modules. Most likely because there is a new Perl version installed after the upgrade, but the script still runs the old Perl version. Please use apt dist-upgrade as the upgrade guide suggests, and please correct me if you didn't use pveupgrade.
Hi Fabian, I used the std porcedure, basically following the WIKI document: apt update; apt dist-upgrade. Cleaning up my upd documentation, I'am quite sure that it was the same in all 3 cases, not just once as I wrote before.

Error-Message-Upd-amcvh13-detail-2021-07-29.JPG

Last edited:
That's strange, I don't think apt uses that library. Could you check your shell history and search for pveupgrade in your /var/log/syslog to make sure?

That's strange, I don't think apt uses that library. Could you check your shell history and search for pveupgrade in your /var/log/syslog to make sure?
Hi Fabian,
no pveupgrade entry in current history or syslog - but the original cluster setup was 5.2 or something and it was updated since that time.
Should this be cleaned up? Are there any remcommandations?

Hi Fabian,
no pveupgrade entry in current history or syslog - but the original cluster setup was 5.2 or something and it was updated since that time.
Should this be cleaned up? Are there any remcommandations?
Strange, not sure where the error comes from then. But I don't think that having been on 5.2 is the reason for the error here. It seems to be related to the version change for Perl (5.28 -> 5.32) with the current upgrade.

Regarding cleanup, I think you should be fine if you follow the upgrade notes/recommendations, including those from Debian. Things that are deprecated and compatibility breaks should be mentioned there.

And if you don't experience other issues, this one was likely just cosmetic.

Strange, not sure where the error comes from then. But I don't think that having been on 5.2 is the reason for the error here. It seems to be related to the version change for Perl (5.28 -> 5.32) with the current upgrade.

Regarding cleanup, I think you should be fine if you follow the upgrade notes/recommendations, including those from Debian. Things that are deprecated and compatibility breaks should be mentioned there.

And if you don't experience other issues, this one was likely just cosmetic.
Ok - thx for your reply - will ignore it then...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!