[SOLVED] Updating 7.1-3 to 7.1-7 ends with error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure)

I can't get the upgrade to finish, it ends:

Setting up initramfs-tools (0.140) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.13.19-6-pve
/etc/initramfs/post-update.d//proxmox-boot-sync: 10: /usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool: not found
run-parts: /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//proxmox-boot-sync exited with return code 127
dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

This is not a proxmox image installation, it is a package installation running on a linode VM.

Can anyone help me? I have two other nodes but do not want to proceed until this is working.
Thanks
Bruce

OK additional information: My other two nodes both updated without error. The node that will not finish the upgrade command, we installed PMG from packages and so it is not exactly the same as the two on-site nodes, see below:

Installed from Proxmox image:
master node : Kernel Version Linux 5.15.53-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.53-1 (Fri, 26 Aug 2022 16:53:52 +0200)
slave node 1 : Kernel Version Linux 5.15.53-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.53-1 (Fri, 26 Aug 2022 16:53:52 +0200)

Installed from Packages:
Kernel Version Linux 5.13.19-6-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.13.19-15 (Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:59:50 +0200)

The PVE 5.13.19-15 Version is installed on a Linode VM out on the internet, but I don't think that is the problem. The problems seems to be proxmox-boot-tool: not found or run-parts: /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//proxmox-boot-sync exited with return code 127. The nodes are all upgraded now, and they are all showing synched and running. I am afraid that this version will not be able to upgrade further until I get this failure corrected. I don't really know where to look.

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited:
Hi,
the pve-kernel-helper package contains the proxmox-boot-tool binary. Please ensure that it is installed correctly. It is a dependency of the proxmox-mailgateway package. You might want to install that to make sure all dependencies for Proxmox Mail Gateway are pulled in automatically.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Hi,
the pve-kernel-helper package contains the proxmox-boot-tool binary. Please ensure that it is installed correctly. It is a dependency of the proxmox-mailgateway package. You might want to install that to make sure all dependencies for Proxmox Mail Gateway are pulled in automatically.
Problem resolved. Installed pve-kernel-helper and upgrade completed cleanly. Many thanks.

Sincerely
Bruce

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!