[SOLVED] Updates and Reboots

bensode

Jan 9, 2019
Harrisburg, PA
Happy Friday everyone. Regarding updates, I see that 5.3-9 is in the repos and I've applied it to all my nodes:

The following packages will be upgraded:
libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls libpve-common-perl libpve-guest-common-perl libpve-storage-perl pve-container pve-docs pve-libspice-server1 pve-manager qemu-server
10 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

After applying these I wondered if there are updates for PVE that would require a reboot (other than kernel). Is there a best practice regarding updates in the cluster for both PVE and Ceph?

Thanks!

PVE's services will be triggered and thus restarted upon a package-upgrade - so for this you won't need a reboot.
running guests will remain running with the old qemu/lxc version until you stop and start them again (a reboot inside the guest is not enough) - so if there's an update for pve-qemu-kvm or lxc-pve you might want to restart all guests (or reboot the node)

in general for linux-systems an upgrade of a library does not restart all services linking to that library - checkout the `needrestart` package - which "check which daemons need to be restarted after library upgrade"

hope this helps!

Reactions: hanru and bensode

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!