Update to 8.2 broke the entire system

WARNING here :)

We both assume that you are in the correct chroot.
I am, also, i made progress, i have searched and installed the grub-cloud package and now i was able to make a config file and pin the right kernel. Is there anything else i should do before rebooting?

I am, also, i made progress, i have searched and installed the grub-cloud package and now i was able to make a config file and pin the right kernel. Is there anything else i should do before rebooting?

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo NOOOOOOO
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

no cloud grub

NOOO!!!!
sorry thats just MYYY testmox

hmm ok lol, lucky i havent rebooted yet, soo, what should i do now
remove the cloud grub package?

I warned you :)

Here from my (non virtual Proxmox - in legacy non secure boot non uefi)

I have no freaking idea - nor do I care - if you "probably" also need the uefi version. I don't know.

I know - for sure - that the cloud package is wrong.

Code:
root@proxmox:~# apt list --installed | grep grub
grub-common/stable,now 2.06-13+pmx2 amd64 [installed]
grub-pc-bin/stable,now 2.06-13+pmx2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
grub-pc/stable,now 2.06-13+pmx2 amd64 [installed]
grub2-common/stable,now 2.06-13+pmx2 amd64 [installed,automatic]

Any progress here?
I have solved everything, your steps partially were correct. However, there were some noticeable changes in my system.
I dont have a boot partition, instead boot its rooted in the same pve partition as /boot. Besides, I was missing the entire grub debian package, and certanly the "could" one was wrong, proxmox isnt using that. Proxmox uses the "grub-efi-amd64" one,
~# apt install grub-efi-amd64
~# update-grub
pinned the 6.5 kernel and worked like magic.

Reactions: Der Harry
I have solved everything, your steps partially were correct. However, there were some noticeable changes in my system.
I dont have a boot partition, instead boot its rooted in the same pve partition as /boot. Besides, I was missing the entire grub debian package, and certanly the "could" one was wrong, proxmox isnt using that. Proxmox uses the "grub-efi-amd64" one,
~# apt install grub-efi-amd64
~# update-grub
pinned the 6.5 kernel and worked like magic.

I have really doubts that this is a 6.8.x issue - since - the grub.conf was missing.

But ... there is no reason that it's vanishing

Same for the grub-common / grub-<bootloader>

Have fun!

Reactions: MrnMrk
I just wanted to jump onto the thread and say that I went through the same situation. I updated proxmox 7.4 to 8.2 and I had the same issue where it froze at the same point as the video that @MrnMrk posted. I have gone through this thread and thankfully many of the questions that I am sure would have been asked, the back & forward with @Der Harry... helped. Thankfully I was able to pin the kernel back to 5.15.152 and now it boots. The proxmox itself says version 8.2.2.

I assume that when I followed the original guide from Proxmox to update from 7.2 to 8.x that I have done something wrong which broke the kernel/system on the newer 6.8 line.

So, my post, firstly to thank everyone that contributed and got me booting up again...

But secondly, what do I do now? How do I look at making the newer kernel working and be able to boot into it? I assume by booting back into 5.15 it isn't good with the new proxmox?

I just wanted to jump onto the thread and say that I went through the same situation. I updated proxmox 7.4 to 8.2 and I had the same issue where it froze at the same point as the video that @MrnMrk posted. I have gone through this thread and thankfully many of the questions that I am sure would have been asked, the back & forward with @Der Harry... helped. Thankfully I was able to pin the kernel back to 5.15.152 and now it boots. The proxmox itself says version 8.2.2.

I assume that when I followed the original guide from Proxmox to update from 7.2 to 8.x that I have done something wrong which broke the kernel/system on the newer 6.8 line.

So, my post, firstly to thank everyone that contributed and got me booting up again...

But secondly, what do I do now? How do I look at making the newer kernel working and be able to boot into it? I assume by booting back into 5.15 it isn't good with the new proxmox?
I am keeping the kernel to 6.5 until 6.8 bugfix or 6.9 comes out, but my machine is being used as homelab, so is not a big deal for me, maybe for someone with enterprise level is, depends on you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!