Update to 2.1 looming.

rayk_sland

Jul 30, 2009
Would the following method work for upgrading?

1) shutdown all VM's
2) backup the /etc/qemu-server directory?
3) disconnect the shared storage (Intel Server Chassis 'Shared LUN' Config) from all cluster machines
4) run the update and the update scripts on all cluster
5) reconnect the shared storage -- all vm's are in lvm volumes
6) either restore the the /etc/qemu-server config files or manually create the vms in the new GUI and point them to the appropriate LVM volumes
(which ever is better)

Looking for a method that is safe but fairly quick. If the shared storage is disconnected, then the upgrade script can't destroy my vms. (not that I think it would... just being cautious) If the shared storage is reconnected, how easy is it with the 2.1 GUI to configure vms and select existing volumes?

I suggest you just run the upgrade script, following the instructions here:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_1.9_to_2.0

Okay, but the upgrade script method 1) is not billed as recommended and 2) starts with "make sure you have all the images backed up." I have the data backed up from inside the VM's but some of the VM's themselves are very large and would involve considerable downtime to restore if the upgrade script failed. I'm just trying to assure myself that the script won't threaten those VM's. I don't want to do any special VM image backup.I don't have anything that will image them (backup or restore) fast enough.

Well, I'm in the middle of upgrading all of my clusters from 1.9 to 2.1 using the upgarde script mentioned. Several of them is a non-ISO install so I thought they'll be harder to upgrade but in fact the procedure is pretty straightforward. Run the script as instructed, and if you see it unable to install some packages, just issue a simple 'apt-get install' in itself to resolve small config issues - usually there isn't anything serious to take care of. After that you can just re-run the updater and it goes on where it left the upgrade. You need to have at least mediocre experience in managing packages on Debian though. If you're afraid of solving some little glitches by hand, I don't recommend the script method. The script won't destroy anything, it backs up configs so you can later import them at the end of the process. Double-check your grub2 install if you're doing things remotely (and if you don't have a remote IP console which you should have anyway). Note that you'll need to rebuild your cluster and storage config as these parts are completely reworked.

Last edited:
Well, I'm in the middle of upgrading all of my clusters from 1.9 to 2.1 using the upgarde script mentioned. Several of them is a non-ISO install so I thought they'll be harder to upgrade but in fact the procedure is pretty straightforward. Run the script as instructed, and if you see it unable to install some packages, just issue a simple 'apt-get install' in itself to resolve small config issues - usually there isn't anything serious to take care of. After that you can just re-run the updater and it goes on where it left the upgrade. You need to have at least mediocre experience in managing packages on Debian though. If you're afraid of solving some little glitches by hand, I don't recommend the script method. The script won't destroy anything, it backs up configs so you can later import them at the end of the process. Double-check your grub2 install if you're doing things remotely (and if you don't have a remote IP console which you should have anyway). Note that you'll need to rebuild your cluster and storage config as these parts are completely reworked.

Oh I've been mucking with debian packages forever and I used to frequently jump forward by two or three versions and force dependencies in sick and twisted ways and get away with it, too. But as long as I have to just rebuild the storage CONFIGs and not the storage itself I'll be quite happy.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!