Dec 3, 2020
Germany
Hi
I'm totally new and have just installed ProxMox

When I go to Update I get the following:

1607027230825.png

What have I don Wrong?

Ok
I'm totally new Where do I find the file to edit?
is there a file browser like explorer in windows in ProxMox?

It is best to use a ssh client to connect to the proxmox host. Once connected you can go to the repo by:

cd /etc/apt then hit enter
And to see the files in there type ls then enter.

Then nano the repo name from the above link and add the information in. Then you need to CD into the sources.list.d directory and then nano pve-enterprise.list and put a # in front of the line. Then save and run apt update and apt dist-upgrade.

THX
But is there no way to see a file list like Windows explorer?
Where I can see the files and open it for editing?

Or can I access the files via FileZilla to have an impression of the fie structure.

If looking for a program like that maybe winscp? I usually only use a ssh client.

WinSCP is working here for Browsing and editing files. But you really should learn how to use linux or I'm not sure if Proxmox ist the right hypervisor for you. Much stuff can't be done by the web interface and you will need advanced linux skills to do it manually by command line.

But you really should learn how to use linux or I'm not sure if Proxmox ist the right hypervisor for you.
Your Right I have to learn!
What would you recommend instead of ProxMmox?

How can I access the server via ftp?
To see the structure for better understanding

Last edited:
Your Right I have to learn!
What would you recommend instead of ProxMmox?

How can I access the server via ftp?
To see the structure for better understanding
Many windows users are using ESXi.

To access the server using ftp you first need to install and configure a ftp server. Again, only command line. Its easier to directly navigate through your files using the command line with commands like "cd", "ls", "find" and so on.

Last edited:
That aren't just some simple commands. You need to:
  • install the ftp server (thats the easy part: "apt update && apt install NameOfYourFtpServerOfYourChoice")
  • edit config files so the ftp server works like you need it
  • create users with ftp access
  • setting up the rights
  • (configure your network so it will work with ftp)
Its way easier to use WinSCP as a GUI or to learn the basic linux commands for navigation through the folders...

Last edited:
Can you Pls tel me HowTo set this up?
You just install WinSCP to your Windows machine and connect to your proxmox server using the IP, default port (22), root user and it's password. If you aren't allowed to login as root you need to set the line "PermitRootLogin no" to "PermitRootLogin yes" in your ssh server config file (/etc/ssh/sshd_config) and restart the server or sshd service. And again, you need to edit that file using the CLI and linux commands ("nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config" for example).

Last edited:
Great THX I'm there now and WinSCP Workx

Pls now:
What Path/ filename?
- What to insert or do in the file?
Pls step by step.

THX for your patience on this!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!