Update iDRAC for dell r730

sai.dasari

Oct 23, 2020
Hi All,

I have a dell r730 server which requires an update for firmware update for iDrac. Could you please suggest me which drivers I can download.
I tried windows but getting RED006: Unable to download Update Package. Could anyone please help me out here. It is not detecting a RAM at all although I see that ram is detecting when booted from bios and checked the hardware manually.

Thanks.

@sai.dasari I manage dell servers for work and 100% the easiest thing to do is download and use the Dell EMC Repository Manager. It lets you download all the firmware (or only the firmware you want) for a server model (like a R730), and then you can make SUU Images, Bootable ISO Images, and 2 other options that I don't recall because I never use them.

The safest option is making an SUU Image and updating firmware from the LCC.

The easiest option is creating a bootable ISO, mounting that to the iDRAC Virtual Console Virtual CD-ROM, rebooting the server, and boot from that ISO. The update process is automatic.

For the iDRAC specifically, you can download the iDRAC update file from Dell, and then apply the iDRAC update via the iDRAC. Don't do this. in iDRAC 6 and 7, this didn't always work and could brick the iDRAC. I'm not sure if that's improved with iDRAC 8 (which is what you have).

My recommendation would be to make an SUU image and update the firmware by booting into the LCC and using the functionality in that.

@Uplink what about using the Lifecycle controller downloading individual updates direct from Dell's repos? Is that something that doesn't work like that anymore? I know on my really, really old dells I had to set up a local repo for the LCC to gets the updates from, but I thought the newer ones could download the updates direct from dell?

@Faris Raouf That functionality no longer works for iDRAC6 (Dell R*10 servers). It would work on the referenced R730. Not everyone's network design can accomadate that, though. Either because corporate firewalls or proxies don't allow the traffic, or because the LCC requires the use of a NIC for that and the LCC doesn't support bonding (that I've seen). So, if all your NICs are using bonded connections (or the only NICs you have plugged in at are bonded), the LCC can't use one of them to access the network because of the switch-side configuration.

Switchside, it would be possible to set switchport trunk native vlan xxx so that you could make the LCC use a bonded NIC as a simpe VLAN tagged port but not all companies allow that as a best practice. E.G. I was taught to do switchport native vlan 666 and then shutdown that vlan so it passes no traffic.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!