Update Driver..... lsi megaraid cards

marotori

Jun 17, 2009
Hello,

As part of my excersise to try and address why my megaraid cards:

9640-i and 9660-i keep locking out disk io; I have been working through some potential fixes with LSI.

The one thing they have come back with is:

--

The issue that needs to be resolved is with the driver being used. In the 9240 log output, the driver version is listed as 5.40-rh2. However, this is not the version listed on the website. In the log file the controller firmware has been unable to get the driver version on at least two occasions, so I suspect that an untested driver could also be the culprit for the incompatibility and the unclean shutdowns.

03/10/12 9:50:20: Unable to get driver version
03/13/12 2:41:35: Unable to get driver version

--

The log items are from the controller itself complaining.

There fix is to use the following driver:

Debian - 5.0 - 10M12

Now.. the lovely chaps have provided a few things.

1. A driver for version 2.6.26 of the debian firmware. This is all together useless to me :)
2. The source for the new driver. This is very usefull.

Now... how can I get this driver compiled and onto the current kernel to check that it fixes the issue?

Rob

The megaraid_sas.ko module.

I am currently considerring swapping raid controllers if I cant get this to work :)

So... I have applied by brain and got the new driver installed.

Fix as follows:

1. apt-get install build-essential
2. apt-get install pve-headers-2.6.32-7-pve (or whichever version you are using)
3. download the LSI drivers:
4. Extract the drivers too: /usr/local/src (the file you want to extraxt is: megaraid_sas-v00.00.05.30-src.tgz)
(you should end up with a folder... /usr/local/src/megaraid_sas-v00.00.05.30)
5. Enter that folder and rename Makefile to Makefile.orig ; then Copy Makefile.standalone to Makefile
6. Compile time: make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-7-pve/ M=$PWD modules
You should get some text.. and a warning.. but it is safe it seems to ignore.
Your driver will end up here: /usr/local/src/megaraid_sas-v00.00.05.30/megaraid_sas.ko
7. Now.. backup this file: /lib/modules/2.6.32-7-pve/kernel/drivers/scsi/megaraid/megaraid_sas.ko (simply rename)
8. Copy the new driver in: cp /usr/local/src/megaraid_sas-v00.00.05.30/megaraid_sas.ko /lib/modules/2.6.32-7-pve/kernel/drivers/scsi/megaraid/megaraid_sas.ko
9. update the initial ram disk (you will most likely need to rename the existing rame disk : mv /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-7-pve /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-7-pve.bak)
update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.32-7-pve
update-grub

Job done.. reboot.

So.. initial test result.

Previously.. simply running: "dd if=/dev/zero of=test.img bs=1024k count=10000" would floor my server in 30-40 seconds. Server dies... cant logon or anything.

For the past 20 minutes.. I have had 4 concurrent dd commands running. And rsync, and a tar.

All of these where in different parts of the file system and of a variety of different block sizes. While doing this I also ran multiple lvm snapshots & removed them for good measure.

The result. iotop showed initially a througput of 80-100mps. Not bad considering this is raid 10 on 4 5800rpm drives. It is also a card that does not have any BBU or cache on it. (the LSI-9640).

Once all the disks where being hammered by the above work.. iotop showed a throughput of 35-45mps. Also ok.. but showing up the disks are lacking in good random io. (to be expected).

I have more testing to do.. but from what I can see sofar.. this driver is 100% essential and needs to be updated in the proxmox source.

Without it.. I would kill my box in just a few minutes.

Rob

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!