update/downgrade to subscrition

Mar 28, 2024
Dear,
I bought the subscription for all the nodes of each cluster, 9 in total, and now I would like to know if there is a way to upgrade/unupgrade at least the kernel to the enterprise version, or at last stable one.

I can't talk on behalf of Proxmox, but I'm pretty sure that any subscription package includes access to the Enterprise repo.
I'm not sure I understood your question properly.

if you configure the enterprise repositories, and disable the no-subscription ones, it usually takes a bit for the enterprise ones to catch up version wise. you can of course install and boot the kernel version currently on enterprise, if you want ;)

Reactions: Moayad
I think, in the no-subscription repo there are package more recent than in enterprise repo.
I have yet configured the enterprise repo, and disable the two no-subscribe, but now if i simply upgrade the package list, sure there isn't any major version of package, so, how i can see the correct enterprise version of kernel?

thank's

you can ask apt. "apt show promox-kernel-6.5 -a" and then see which is the highest that has pve-enterprise as the source. then look at that versions dependencies to figure out the "proxmox-kernel-6.5.X-Y-pve" package to install. or just wait, it normally doesn't take very long to catch up anyway.

so i think is yet all right:
apt show proxmox-kernel-6.5 -a
Package: proxmox-kernel-6.5
Version: 6.5.13-1
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Maintainer: Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com>
Installed-Size: 19.5 kB
Provides: linux-image-amd64, linux-image-generic, pve-kernel-6.5, wireguard-modules (= 1.0.0)
Depends: pve-firmware, proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-1-pve-signed | proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-1-pve
Replaces: pve-kernel-6.5
Download-Size: 9,672 B
APT-Manual-Installed: no
APT-Sources: https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pve bookworm/pve-enterprise amd64 Packages
Description: Latest Proxmox Kernel Image
This is a metapackage which will install the latest available
proxmox kernel from the 6.5 series.

uname -a
Linux pve3n2 6.5.11-7-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.5.11-7 (2023-12-05T09:44Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux

dpkg -l | grep proxmox-kernel
ii proxmox-kernel-6.5 6.5.13-1 all Latest Proxmox Kernel Image
ii proxmox-kernel-6.5.11-7-pve-signed 6.5.11-7 amd64 Proxmox Kernel Image (signed)
ii proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-1-pve-signed 6.5.13-1 amd64 Proxmox Kernel Image (signed)
ii proxmox-kernel-helper 8.1.0 all Function for various kernel maintenance tasks.

Consider that i boot with the 6.5.11-7-pve because this morning the server was Unreachable and the only thing for boot up was that kernel, the problem seem to be a network related problem, but is production server so i can-t investigate yet

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!