Update broke passthrough

sixconfirmedthrills

Oct 5, 2021
Hi,

Hardware in question: HP ProLiant DL380p G8, Intel I340-T4 Quad port NIC

It's been running perfectly fine for months, until I updated today. I carelessly updated the OS after I added the no-subscription repo (had no idea I missed that at setup, long time ago, so I sort of updated as a reaction), and now PCIe passthrough for the aforementioned NIC is somehow broken. I've tried recreating the steps I took via guides to get passthrough working, to make sure all configs were correct, but I can't seem to get it right - it all seems fine.

I'm not sure what version I was on before I updated, but I updated to 6.4. My assumption is that it has something to do with the kernel version, but I'm a novice and I'm not sure how to proceed. The error I'm getting when I try to run the guest is:

Code:
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:04:00.0,id=hostpci0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x10: failed to setup container for group 34: Failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted
start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

Does anyone know what may have caused this to break, giving me an idea of what to look for?

Thank you!

Edit: Autocorrect weirdness

UPDATE:
I realized the whole not-using-grub-anymore-shenanigans and updated the systemd-boot file, adding intel_iommu=on. I've also tried using the relaxed rmrr kernel, as I think this may have been part of my original setup. But still, no dice.

Last edited:
I've the same issue, and the first to check is if IOMMU is on or not on your motherboard, normally for intel VT-D option.

The way is to check first on you shell if it's ok or not, the command is: dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU

If there is no response so try to check them first.

I've the same issue, and the first to check is if IOMMU is on or not on your motherboard, normally for intel VT-D option.

The way is to check first on you shell if it's ok or not, the command is: dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU

If there is no response so try to check them first.
Thanks for your response! Since the system was running before the update, I’m assuming I don’t need to change anything in BIOS? I made sure that was all fine when I first installed the system a long time ago.

dmesg says IOMMU is enabled, but I do get the rmrr warning for my NIC. Browser won’t let me paste in iOS for some reason, but it’s the standard “ineligible for iommu domain attach, contact vendor” message. I need to look into the relaxed kernel again, the version naming scheme confused me.

But also, I originally had to add relaxed_rmrr to where you add intel_iommu=on, can’t remember the file name. But that may be different now when grub isn’t being used, so I’m not sure what to do about that.

pveversion -v says I’m on proxmox-ve 6.4-1 and pve-manager 6.4-13. Which version of the custom kernel should I use, do you know? If you check the link in my original post.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!