Unsuccessful attempt to remove kernel 6.2.16-8

dbenyakar

Aug 14, 2023
Hi.
Im trying to uninstall kernel 6.2.16-8-pve using the command apt-get remove proxmox-kernel-6.2.16-8-pve --purge but it doesn't work.
I did manage to remove kernel 6.2.16-6 using the same command but not with this one.
The output that Im getting is:
Code:
root@pve:~# apt-get remove proxmox-kernel-6.2.16-8-pve --purge
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libupsclient4 telnet
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  proxmox-default-kernel* proxmox-kernel-6.2* proxmox-kernel-6.2.16-8-pve* proxmox-ve*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 572 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
W: (pve-apt-hook) !! WARNING !!
W: (pve-apt-hook) You are attempting to remove the meta-package 'proxmox-ve'!
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you really want to permanently remove 'proxmox-ve' from your system, run the following command
W: (pve-apt-hook)       touch '/please-remove-proxmox-ve'
W: (pve-apt-hook) run apt purge proxmox-ve to remove the meta-package
W: (pve-apt-hook) and repeat your apt invocation.
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you are unsure why 'proxmox-ve' would be removed, please verify
W: (pve-apt-hook)       - your APT repository settings
W: (pve-apt-hook)       - that you are using 'apt full-upgrade' to upgrade your system
E: Sub-process /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook returned an error code (1)
E: Failure running script /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook

What can be the reason?

Hi,

why do you want to remove the kernel?
It's the latest kernel and the only one you have installed for 6.2 - thus you cannot remove it.

Hi,

why do you want to remove the kernel?
It's the latest kernel and the only one you have installed for 6.2 - thus you cannot remove it.
Im running Proxmox 8.0 with Kernel 5.15.108-1 due to the Realtek driver issue. Its the only workaround that worked for me.
Why do think its the only one thats installed?

Im running Proxmox 8.0 with Kernel 5.15.108-1 due to the Realtek driver issue.
Alright. Well, Proxmox 8.0 depends on the proxmox-kernel-6.2 image, due to it being the default kernel for the release.

So it's not really an option to uninstall that package, at least not if you want a working & supported system configuration.

Im running Proxmox 8.0 with Kernel 5.15.108-1 due to the Realtek driver issue. Its the only workaround that worked for me.
Why do think its the only one thats installed?
I have a problem similar to yours. I did an installation from scratch with proxmox 8, the default is kernel 6 and I would like to install kernel 5, how do I do it?

I have a problem similar to yours. I did an installation from scratch with proxmox 8, the default is kernel 6 and I would like to install kernel 5, how do I do it?
I ended up installing proxmox 7.4-16 with kernel edge 5.19.17-1. Has been running 2 months perfectly without any issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!