Unresponsive system and cannot reboot (Transport endpoint is not connected)

d82k

Jan 28, 2024
Hello,
I'm running Proxmox 8.0.4 on a Lenovo laptop.
Suddenly the virtual environments became not responsive and proxmox is very slow. Resources are still available (disk is 50%free, ram 2GB free).
I tried to stop the virtual environment using both webinterface and console, but with limited results. Processes are hanging and cannot be stop (kill commands does not have effect and qm is hanging).
Reboot is unsuccessful:

Bash:
root@proxmox:~# reboot
Failed to set wall message, ignoring: Transport endpoint is not connected
Call to Reboot failed: Transport endpoint is not connected

The laptop is unfortunately remote so cannot manually force a reboot so far. Any suggestion what to try and any idea why this happened?

Overall I had a pihole, an homeassistant, and a debian (clean install) running.

EDIT:
I was able to access physically the laptop, the console has the following error repeated and it appears again once rebooted. No change was done in the recent days nor to the software nor to the hardware

Bash:
RAS: Soft-offlining pfn: 0x.....
Memory failure: 0x.... unhandlable page.

Last edited:
Those error messages are some kernel/systemd bug.
You using old version of PVE-8, update to the latest ( fixed many errors later ).

If you want "stable" version use PVE-7 or PVE-6.

More info:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap

Last edited:
I run Memtest86+ and the CPU and memtest from the UEFI boot of the laptop, all was good.
I re-install everything from scratch and used the latest version 8.1
I also used suggestion found here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/s...tically-mce-hardware-error.73444/#post-336772 to as I was having similar errors.
No error was appearing, after 2 days it started again and it's a continuous error.

Code:
RAS: Soft-offlining pfn: 0x.....
Memory failure: 0x.... unhandlable page.

and at boot I also get this:
Code:
rmi4_f34 rmi4-00.fn34: rmi_f34v7_probe: Unrecognized bootloader version 13 (

Device:
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th
i5-8350U CPU @ 1.7Ghz
8GB RAM

Antitheft, device guard, fingerprint, bluetooth, wan, etc options all disabled.

Last edited:
Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Having the same issue with my system today.
Device:
AMD 5700G
B550M motherboard
Running over 8.2.2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!