Unraid VM for Docker

emrepolat7

Nov 8, 2023
Hi All,

Proxmox recommends using VMs for running Docker. Since Unraid is also a type of Linux, would it be efficient to run Unraid on Proxmox and then run Docker containers on Unraid?

Efficient? I guess so. I run all my docker images in a Debian VM. I am just not sure of the usefulness of using a NAS OS to do this (any NAS OS really) since you have to go through the work of either passing through the drives or the HBA. If you are not going to make the drives directly available to Unraid, it seems a waste to use that OS, since you will lose so many features. I am not a big fan of virtualizing NAS OSes in the first place though. IMO NAS systems are better off with direct control of the hardware.

Docker is SO easy to install from the command line, that virtually any Linux will do. You can literally go to the docker documentation and copy and paste the commands from there. Once it is running, you can use Portainer to manage it graphically. If you want a GUI for your OS, you could always use Cockpit. https://cockpit-project.org/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!