Unraid@Proxmox@F6-424 Max - Part 2

BarbaGrump

Member
Apr 18, 2023
10
0
6
This is part two of my article on getting Unraid 7 up and running on Proxmox on Terramaster F6-424 Max.

See first part here!

Getting Unraid 7 to work on Proxmox:

My Initial passthrough config:

/etc/kernel/cmdline:
root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pci=noaer​
I could probably remove pci=noaer since the BIOS allowed me to turn off Advanced Error Reporting per PCIe channel.​

/etc/modules:
vfio​
vfio_iommu_type1​
vfio_pci​
vfio_virqfd​

/etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
options i915 enable_fbc=1 enable_guc=3​

/etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf
blacklist pcspkr​

Unraid VM-config:
General:
Name, Id​
OS:
Do not use CD-ROM​
System:
Machine=q35, BIOS=OVMF, Qemu Agent=X​
Disks:
Your own preferences, But Im going for 1T, Discard=X, SSD emulation=X​
CPU:
8 cores, Type=Host​
Memory
8192​
Then add Unraid USB, iGPU and ASM1166 SATA controller to the VM.
After that...Hit Start.
...and nothing happens. Bummer!
Ok. Lets kill the vm
Drop to shell on your Proxmox-host and run
rm /var/lock/qemu-server/lock-<YOUR-VM-ID>.conf​
qm stop <YOUR-VM-ID>​
To get things going, we need to isolate the iGPU and SATA-controller.
lspci -nn​
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-UP3 GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] [8086:46a8] (rev 0c)​
04:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1166 Serial ATA Controller [1b21:1166] (rev 02)​
OK, so its 8086:46a8 and 1b21:1166 we want
Run
echo "options vfio-pci ids=8086:46a8,1b21:1166" > /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf​
echo "blacklist ahci" >> /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf​
echo "blacklist i915" >> /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf​
echo "blacklist xe" >> /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf​
update-initramfs -u -k all​
reboot​
​
Now try to start Unraid VM...Success for you as well, I hope.

Well, not all went well...
Im getting errors in Unraid dmesg regarding the GPU, but everything (eg hw-transcoding in Plex and Emby, Frigate detection etc.) seems to work just fine.

And after shutting Unraid VM down and restart it, the SATA-disks does not show up in Unraid. The isolation of the SATA-controller works...I dont see any SATA-disks in Proxmox. Only after a powerdown/restart of the Proxmox host, disk are visible again. For now Im passing through the disks instead of the controller. This I cant solve.

Edit after 2w: So...the backup solution was to passthrough the disks instead. I know Unraid wants full control over the disks, but I have now been running with all my disks passed through, and so far no problems.

So, all in all, I'm very happy with the setup. It works very well, and I must say that for the price of the MAX, you got plenty of power to play with.
I really recommends this piece of hardware, even though I'm still disapointed with the SATA-passthrough debacle.

Edit. Again.: After a few weeks after writing the above, I have a really strange problem...After a reboot none, or sometimes a few, of my 5 SSDs shows up in Proxmox, and only a a complete Shutdown makes the disks usable again. I have tested with a HDD, and that one always works. I have tried to change everythinig in BIOS, but to no avail.
 
Last edited: