Understanding masquerading setups: Can I push traffic only through one NIC?

oguruma

Mar 26, 2020
Here's what I want: create a VM used for a VOIP server. Give that VM its own NIC and push all of its traffic exclusively through that NIC.

I have a single (dynamic) IP from my ISP, so I will have to use NAT. On the router, I have a NIC set up as a DMZ that I want to use for the VOIP traffic.

From what I have seen, all of the masquerading setups push traffic out the vmbr0 bridge. I don't want any of the VMs traffic to pass through the vmbr0 interface.

I want to keep a single interface in my LAN (for accessing the ProxMox host via GUI and SSH) and then port forward from my router to the specific VMs.proxmox drawing.png

Last edited:
Are you talking about two physical NICs on your PVE machine?

If yes: You can either pass the NIC directly to the VM (i.e. PCIe passthrough), or create a second vmbr on PVE (doesn't need an IP) and only assign your VOIP VM to it, effectively assigning the NIC to the VM as well.

If no, i.e. all traffic physically passes through the core switch, you're just after logical separation: Just give the VM an IP in your internal range and then port forward (or DMZ-forward) all traffic to that IP address.

Edit: Forgot to mention: I don't think you need masquerading at all here, which is why I only mentioned the above two. You already have a router (pfSense in your image) which can NAT your internal IPs to your external one)

Reactions: Moayad

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!