Unable to save UEFI boot order

F. Posav

Oct 23, 2018
Hi!

I'm having issues getting the boot order to stick using ovmf. I have a windows 10 VM, with passed through GPU and USB controller. This has worked without issues for over a year now. However I recently got a NVMe drive and my plan was to pass through the whole controller to the VM.

Installation went fine and everything seemed to work until a tried to reboot the machine. After a reboot I always end up in the UEFI shell. If I type exit and from the UEFI interface go to the boot menu and select the drive there Windows boots up fine and everything works again.

The issue is though that, however I tried I could not get the boot order configuration to stick after a reboot. I have added an EFI-disk, tried re-adding it etc. but it never works. I have tried deleting all other boot options than the NVMe drive but they all reappear after a reboot. Same goes for changing the boot order, the order is always reset when I shut down or reboot the VM... I even tried creating a whole new VM but still no luck.

Because this machine is headless most of the time (used for Steam in-home streaming) having to select the boot device from UEFI GUI every boot is not an option, so for now I have just passed through the drive using virtio-scsi, but I would still like to know if someone else has gotten this to work, and why it doesn't work for me?

I'm having the same issue can you describe in more detail what you did to solve the problem. I also passthrough a nvme device but the bootorder in the ovmf (uefi disk) doesnt stick for some reason.

OMG... that was so frustrating... THANK YOU for posting that! I was getting so frustrated with it not saving! Something so simple, but something noobs (like me!) would never think to check! lol!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!