Unable to remove installed application and VM data

themonkeyman

Jun 20, 2021
Now, I've had this problem for quite a while. I am new to Proxmox, and virtual environments entirely. My machine has fallen over once, and I don't want it to happen again. What seems to have happened is that the disk space on my Local-ZFS volume had maxed out, causing the computer to crash, and not start again. Now, I am unaware how the person who did fix it actually fixed it, so I am attempting to ask people on the forum on how to get my disk space down. It's peaking at ninenty percent at the moment, and it is quite frightening. I first tested around with it by downloading a game, and that game's storage and data still seems to be present in the disk even though I've deleted it.

What I am asking about here, is how to remove data of already deleted applications, etc. I have done a thorough wipe on both of my systems, Windows 10 and MacOS Mojave. I have come to see that the Mojave side of the VM states that I have over 800 GB of space free, but on Proxmox it truely is a different story. The storage shows, as I have quoted before, that it is at a peak, and realistically it should be much lower, according to the built-in system readings. What I have guessed is that there may be some form of hidden data.. or that one of the readers of the disk space is inaccurate and wrong, compared to the actual status of the machine. I am unsure about either of those options, and how I shall be able to fix this problem is still something I do not know of; this is why I am seeking help.

It would be really lovely if someone could help out, I'm in great need of some saviour at the moment.

Thanks!

If you use ZFS or any other filesystem that uses thin provisioning you need to make sure that your guest OS (your Windows for example) send TRIM/discard commands to the virtual storage controller, you need to choose a virtual storage controller that supports discard (virtio SCSI for example) and you need to make sure that the "discard" checkbox of each virtual disk is enabled or otherwise the storage controller will not pass any TRIM commands to your host. Only if ZFS on your host receives the TRIM commands it will free up the space of stuff that you deleted inside the guest.

Win10 should send TRIM commands by default (atleast if you enable "SSD emulation" for the virtual disk and choose virtio SCSI as controller), linux and unix will only send TRIM commands if you tell it to do it and I don't know how OS X is handling this.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!