[SOLVED] Unable to migrate VMs and VNC (Host key verification failed)

martgb

Jul 21, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting an error trying to migrate VMs between two nodes in a recently setup cluster.

The messages I get are:
- Host key verification failed.
- Migration aborted: Can't connect to destination address using public key.
- Migration aborted.

As for context leading to the issue:
- When I created the cluster I nad the wrong IP in one of the host files.
- This happened because after the initial installation I had to change IP addresses but wasn't aware of the host file.
- After creating the cluster I noticed that the join information and certificates had the wrong ip addresses. I fixed that with "pvecm updatecerts -force"
- The certificates now show the correct IP address.
- However when I try to migrate VMs I get "Host key verification failed" and the process is aborted.

Host key issues don't seem too uncomon in the forum but I couldn't find a thread that made sense to me. Any help will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Host key verification failed.png
    Host key verification failed.png
    30 KB · Views: 3
Alright, managed to get it working!

I had to run the following comand I found on another thread:

ssh -o 'HostKeyAlias=<Target node Name>' root@<Target node IP>

Obiously replacing <Taget node Name> and <Target node IP> with the respectives.

That did the trick for me.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!